Available iMac hard drives - differences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Vinny, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Vinny macrumors newbie

I see Apple offers two drives for the 20" iMac, 80gb and 160. What make/model are they? Is one any faster than the other?

I really don't need 160gb, but if it's faster I'll get it. Thanks!

Vinny

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The 160GB drive isn't any faster

Both hard drive options for the iMac are the same speed, 7200 RPM. I don't know where to find the manufacturer of the hard drives Apple uses in the iMacs, but I would guess that the 80 GB and 160 GB drives are two models from the same manufacturer that differ only in capacity.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think the manufacturer varies, and not according to size, but it's semi-random.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You don't *think* you need 160 gigs, but just wait a couple years. Upgrading your hard drive is a pain later on (backing up, copying the files, reinstalling software), so it might be worth it to you to go ahead and spend the extra $100 now. I just went through an HD upgrade (to 40 gigs, on my TiBook). It seems like a lot of room, but I'm already coming up with ways to fill it up.

5. Souljas macrumors regular

hey, this is my first ever post on macrumors, but I have been a homepage speculator for about 1 and half years. Anyways seeing that youve sorted out the above problem can anyone give me some advice.

I run an IMac 800mhz SDrive (very first one), i have a 512mb ram (2 x 256mb), but have been feeling the mac under a bit of strain in PhotoShop, and the ILife's, even though i dont really overtax the number of programmes open. Is it worth me upgrading the user acessable ram to 512mb taking the system to 712mb
    , or,
    changing the hard drive to a larger 160gb Maxtor 7200rpm (from my current factory installed 60gb @ 5600rpm). In the future I hope to do both but for now I can only really afford one of the options

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You might want to start a new thread for this, but I'd say neither one is really going to help a whole lot with speed in Photoshop. Bumping the RAM would probably help most, because it could move some HD processes to RAM--but you're really talking about a small difference in total memory, from 512 to 768, so I wouldn't expect a huge improvement. People see the huge improvements when they double or triple memory, especially when they're starting with a really small number (like going from 128 to 640, or 256 to 1 gig).

HD space becomes more of a factor when your HD is close to full, because that gives Photoshop less room to use as a scratch disk. So if you're pushing 50 GB used on your HD, that might be the thing to upgrade first. Others will have to speak on the 7200 vs 5600 difference--I can't say how much that would help. They'd probably need more info, though (typical file size, filters, etc. that you use).