Avatar creation/Web page maintenance

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stormyguy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Stormyguy macrumors regular

Hey all,

Just been browsing through some of the avatars posted in the comp - how good are those!!! Well done to all concerned!

Could I ask what programs are used in designing these?? Do I need any fancy stuff?! And would they work on another forum I am a member of where you are allowed an image from a web page to go along with your posts (usually a .gif, .tif or .jpg)???? (I note these 'tars seem to be .php files)?

Also I am looking for software to maintain my exisiting webpages which I used to do on my old Peecee with some M$ software. Now we have switched to Apple this is the last task I need to switch over to my iMacs.
    I only want to do fairly simple tasks - design basic pages, update text, switch pics around etc - who would recommend what???

If it's freeware all well and good, shareware's OK too, or if I need to buy something that's not out of the question either. I don't know code so wants to be kind of a WYSIWYG affair! Could I do using OSX/Office OSX and an ftp program of some sort??

I have Photoshop and Quark (both for OS9) already if that's any use.

As always, help most gratefully received.
    Danny

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

As far as the avatars are concerned, all you need is photoshop for a static image. If you want animation, the easiest way would be to use imageready (it comes with photoshop, so you should have that too). They are all gif's. It may show up as a .php, but just change it to .gif.

That's what i used anyway. A couple of the other guys used lighwave i believe, but that's a bit of overkill for a 20k tar! :)

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hehehe, isn't it just!
    I've been using Photoshop 7 and ImageReady 7 for my first attempts at 'tars (gearing up for when I hit 500), it's pretty easy with them.
    If you have them give 'em a go.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yes but it looks good, doesn't it;)

I rendered the images in lightwave (radiosity setting to get a softer look) and loaded each image into ImageReady. You basically can do pretty much anything with it, its a great little app. I did Backtothemac's 'tar as well.

I don't think that the all the 3D apps for the contest were done in lightwave, a couple were done in Maya and Cinema4D.

D

Attached Files:

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, it does look very good, that 'tar was my favourite of your 'tars, maybe when more talk of the G5 comes around again you will use it again.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

nah, it won't be used again, I don't think. I had only done it as a joke at first, but it stayed around for a while. I'll be changing my tar again soon, to a more appropriate one for my member name. Not sure when though.

D

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Kool, looking forward to seeing it, so far they've all been really good :D ...I would like to see the good old G5 'tar out on show again though ;)

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Do you want to use it? Go ahead, you're 'tar bound soon.

D

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on it :)
    The only thing is I'd feel like a bit of a cheat not even making the effort to try and make one of own.
    I guess I'll see how I get along with ImageReady, and if I am crap at it then you may well be seeing the good old 'Show me the G5' tar again! :D

Thanks!

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No worries. And if you want a different logo on the sphere in the background instead of the lightwave one, let me know, its an easy fix.

D

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks Dukestreet! :D

...I'm starting to feel like part of the macrumors family now, I LOVE this place, much more friendly than over at spymac...

12. dantec macrumors 6502a

I like it, dukestreet. I really do...

What were you thinking of changing it into?

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It can be whatever you want, just give me an image to play with. Apple Logo, your initials, the head of Steve, a bunny.....what every you want

D

14. dantec macrumors 6502a

Not usefull for me, yet... By the way how many posts do you need to have an image or animation?

That is if you were talking to me... :confused:

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

500 mate, not long for you :D

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

500 posts gets you a 'tar. Verbose asked for my old one, and I was just answering your question so he'd know that there were plenty of options.

D

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

3D

I used Cinema4D on mine. I dont think its overkill, because i had the PowerBook modeled for another project anyway, so rendering a quick animation was no biggie. As soon as the avatar contest is over, Im changing the screen on the laptop. But yes, I also used imageready to convert my quicktime movie to an animated gif.

18. dantec macrumors 6502a

AGGREENSTER THAT IS SOOO COOL! Can you make me one of my quicksilver???

(since i'm almost there) yah!

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: 3D

I still maintain that yours is the BEST 'tar around on these boards :D
    VERY nice work! I have Cinema4D but don't have a clue how to use it :confused:

20. dantec macrumors 6502a

I'm at 500 woohoo!

Anyway, verbose101 that is a good start.

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've had a good start??? Sorry, you've lost me :confused:

22. dantec macrumors 6502a

By having the program... At least you do, I don't so I'll probably never have an avatar!

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh right, I see what ur talking about now :p
    I guess I'll have to just give the appz my best shot and see what happens :eek:

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you don't have an image editing program? it doesn't take much to make an avatar, just do it.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dukestreet is (of course) right dantec, all you need is an app to make an image 50 x 50 px and under 20k, it doesn't have to be anything fancy.