Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by maradong, Jun 3, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

maradong

just wondering if anybody got an address of where to find some avatars ?

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't know if you can find any premade avatars that would be in the right format. They need to be 20k or less and 50x50 pixels in jpg or gif format (works best).

What sort of 'tar were you looking for? There are all sorts of members who love to make them, and many people here have them made by others. Just let us all know what it is you want - or if you find an image on line that you need 'tar-ified....

D

3. macrumors 604

scem0

c:// in my case.
    Basically I am saying make your own. Or edit something already created. Using something already created is boring. Unoriginal. Doesn't show personality. I edited a huge animated gif I found on some site to what you see now. I think it fits my personality (to some degree) plus it looks awesome. :p

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There are many members who don't have the programs or knowledge or talent to make one they'd be happy with. I just figured if maradong was asking that he fell into one of those catagories.

D

5. macrumors 604

scem0

I don't think you need photoshop or expensive software to make a avatar that mirrors your personality. I could have edited my avatar from iPhoto (had I been using a mac) or a freeware/shareware product. But, if you really don't know **** when it comes to imaging, then another member could fix you up with something, or I guess you could find something outside of MR, but that's no fun.

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But then you managed to find yours online some where. Until maradong responds we won't know what the reason for him asking is - but all of mine I've made from images and or scratch - and I've made several dozen or so. He might be looking for something a little more professional ;)

D

7. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah I took a picture of blockhead off the internet and made it my iChat icon then I finally got my avatar so I found the ichat files and used that picture. in Ichat you can copy a large picture to the icon space then zoom in out and it saves the smaller (good avatar size pic)

8. macrumors 604

scem0

haha. Well, I think the messiness of my avatar represents my messy personality.

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

i think it s more like the knowlegde of how to resize images, and how to pay attention so that they won t get to big.

As for me, i got an gif, but if i try to resize it, it happens to only have 1 frame... and not all of them :D

if you got the time to explain me how to make it by myself, i d be glad to try it :D

10. macrumors 604

scem0

The number of frames shouldn't change if you resize it.

If I had a mac, I would go through the steps, but I don't.

Do you have photoshop or any other imaging software, other than that of apple's?

11. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

took me 10 seconds in ImageReady :D

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

maradong

thank you so much :D
    thx ... once more.

13. macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: avatars

i didnt know you could find em :p I just took a couple of imac pictures, resized em, added a few of mine, and I made it an animated gif.

14. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Re: Re: avatars

i like the pics of the imac, but the title cards are kind of harsh. maybe it's just because it loops so fast/often. much better than yr first 'tar, though. i dunno, just one guy's opinion. :)

<EDIT> general comment: why not accept .swf files for 'tars?

15. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: avatars

using .swf files would be great, it would allow so much more animation - but the code running the forum doesn't allow it yet. Maybe someday.

Tazo - I'd work on the transitions - they're to fast and harsh. Look at mine, its a smooth fade. Even if you did a 2 frame transition from one image to the next it wouldn't take up that much more space and you could easily do it.

D

16. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

SWF files can be used for destructive purposes if a silly bugger decided to have a play.

Tazo: Mr.A's right man - trust him; he's an animator ;)

17. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

so true...the power of action scripting - but that could be fun, you know?

Imagine an interactive 'tar - you could have a simple mouse follower or math function, oh the potential :D

D

18. macrumors G4

19. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

Eh? Really? I frequent another vB board and they had to disable the use of .swf sigs and tars due to abuse. I remember some members of the forum had .swf sigs which played music if you clicked on them.

Since MR is based on vB I assumed that this forum could handle .swf 'tars if arn wanted to.

20. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

can you fit music in a 20K .swf?

21. macrumors G4

22. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

whats wrong with my tar panel? i have 500 post:)

23. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

The size limit wasn't 20K. It wasn't for 'tars either. The forum allowed graphical sigs with a max size of near 150K, so people used Flash to create some pretty badass sigs.

24. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

ah. well, then, i don't see the problem with allowing swfs here if the limit remains 20 K--provided that is enough to allow some basic animation anyway.

25. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: avatars

Yeah, that would be pretty cool to be able to use .swf 'tars. Animation would be so much more easier.