Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audivid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
After importing my AVCHD footage (Log and Transfer) and converting to Apple ProRes 422, what would be my best setting (to get the best HD picture) for exporting (after editing) to quicktime or to compressor or to wherever? I've tried several ways and they all end up looking pretty terrible.
Also, Im shooting with a Sony HDR-SR8; do my pans and movements suppose to be very blurry and out of focus all the time? Do I need a certain setting? I've tried a lot of different things with that as well and I cant seem to get rid of that blurry look if I pan or if the subject moves. Thank You.

bairda

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
After importing my AVCHD footage (Log and Transfer) and converting to Apple ProRes 422, what would be my best setting (to get the best HD picture) for exporting (after editing) to quicktime or to compressor or to wherever? I've tried several ways and they all end up looking pretty terrible.
Also, Im shooting with a Sony HDR-SR8; do my pans and movements suppose to be very blurry and out of focus all the time? Do I need a certain setting? I've tried a lot of different things with that as well and I cant seem to get rid of that blurry look if I pan or if the subject moves. Thank You.

How did you shoot the original video (1080i/p, 720p)?
What devices are you trying to deliver to (Blu-ray, Ipod/Iphone/AppleTV, YouTube, Vimeo, DVD)?

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
For the blurry shots. Was this in low lighting? Normally if the shutter is slower, pans on quick movements can get blurred. Normally for sports I try and shoot 1/250. If lighting is low I'll try and stick around 1/90 or 1/100.

The slower the shutter the more chance for blurriness. If you have to shoot in darker than ideal environments keep movement of the camera to a minimum. Shoot wider to avoid quick pans.

As for AVCHD codec. Apple Pro Res 422 is about the best you can do. Personally I prefer DVCPro HD but that's not available with AVCHD.

bairda

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009

If you are not going to any compositing or any other work that requires a high color space, then prores would do fine.

Once you get to compressor, you can export to h264 or mpeg2 in whatever wrapper you need, depending on what your delivery needs are, and get a very high quality HD output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.