Average Battery Life

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by insan56, Sep 3, 2005.

1. insan56 macrumors member

What would you say the average battery life of your PowerBook or iBook is?

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

On my iBook depending on what i'm doing, I get an easy 4+ hours if im just surfing and emailing. I can watch 2 full dvd's no sweat also on a full charge.

3. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

about the same here.

4. lfielder06 Guest

I have a 15" PB and can get around 4 hours using energy saving settings.

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" - about 3 - 3 1/2 hours (tft backlight on full, using wireless)

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I get around 3.75 hours on my iBook. It really helps turning things like the airport off. Also turning down the processor.

8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I get at least 4 hours on my 12" PowerBook with BT off, AP on, and the screen brightness at 1/2.

9. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

On a 12" PowerBook purchased in May of 2004. Still get between 3.5 and 4 hours of normal use.

10. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Without energy savings on, 3 hours.

I've never really tried with energy settings.

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Lucky you! My Powerbook (purchased at the beginning of June 2004) only holds a 2 hour charge :(

12. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

My 1.42ghz 14" iBook G4 holds about 4.5 hours of battery life on a full charge. This is with BT off and the screen brightness minus 3 blocks of being full.

13. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

I get a little over 3 hours just by using simple apps like Chat, Email, iTunes & Safari.
    Whatever happen to 6 hours?
    My battery never charge to the full 100% either...
    Only up to 98% :(
    Is there a way to increase battery capacity?

14. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I think some people here are getting a little carried away with how long they think their battery lasts. Fist thing, NEVER trust what the computer says in terms of hours left; it changes rapidly depending on what you're doing. So the time you see on the batt menu is assuming that you're going to be doing that and only that task till the battery dies (which is unlikely). If it was right, then my PB 17" has a 6:30 battery [which it doesn't]. The only thing that is correct is the percentage left.

For those who claimed outrageous battery life, use a stop watch. There is no way a PB 15" [which has the worst batt of all] is going to get 3 1/2 batt [with full brightness and airport]. Not when apple claims "up to" 4 1/2 (with everything on minimum)

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iBook G4 800MHz with full screen brightness, AirPort on and under medium-light use (word processing, browsing, music) I still get at least 4.5 hours of battery life. It's not the original battery though, the original was faulty and replaced under warrantee and is about one and a half years old. :)

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I suggest using a watch when you time things like this.

Also, mention what iBook (12" or 14") it is. Otherwise, all this talk is useless.

Another thing to think about is how people charge and use their iBooks/PBs. Some people still drain the battery completely before recharging, which is just a big no-no in the Lithium-Ion world that we live in today.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, apart from once every month or so, that's very good advice. :)

18. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I was reading on this forum a while ago that, say you drained your battery 10% ten times a month that is considered a cycle as its 100%. As long as a cycle is reached each month i don't think you have to drain the battery every month.

19. insan56 thread starter macrumors member

hey i thought that with an iBook that you are supposed to get 6 hours of battery life?

20. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I get an average of 15 minutes! :eek:

I need a new battery. :eek:

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's really interesting. I've heard similar stuff but Apple's battery site still asks for regular calibration.

That's "claimed" battery life which is always very different from actual battery life. When mine was new, I probably got close to a little over five hours.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I think it's interesting, but I still say stick with the drain from full to empty once a month so that your battery management software knows what top and bottom are. Do so after every 20 uses on battery.

And don't bother trying to understand "complete charge cycles." It's all bullspit. Your battery will get 300-500 complete charge cycles. In other words.....they don't know. All I (and Mad Jew) can tell you is that you should do a full calibration once in a while, and do NOT drain the battery to empty before charging your battery (except once a month, or after 20 uses on battery power). These aren't Nickel-Cadmium batteries, and it's not 1991.

23. Tahko macrumors regular

I can watch directors cut Amadeus with normal processor usage and full screen brightness and then some.. It's a 3 & half hour movie.