Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

151321-validas_data_usage.jpg

Consumer Reports announced this week the results of a study it commissioned assessing the monthly data usage for customers of Apple's iPhone and other smartphones. The data, obtained from over 1,000 consumer accounts linked to online bill analysis firm Validas, reveals that iPhone users consume an average of 273 MB of data per month, five times that of BlackBerry users and nearly twice that of users of other smartphones.
On average, iPhone users consume 273 MBs of data per month. That compares with 54 MBs for consumer users of Blackberrys and 150 MBs for consumers who use other brands of smart phones, the Validas study found.
The disparity in data usage is particularly evident at low levels, where 80% of BlackBerry and 54% of "other" smartphone users consume less than 50 MB of data per month while only less than 20% of iPhone users maintain such low usage.

Consumer Reports points to the data consumption of iPhone users and the strain they have placed on AT&T's network in the United States as a possible key source of discontent that led to the carrier placing last in the magazine's recent overall and city-by-city ratings.

Article Link: Average iPhone Consumer Data Usage Pegged at Five Times That of BlackBerry

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Interesting! If you make something easy to use, the user will really use it.

My current Moto phone is so hard to use, I don't even try to use it to get on the internet.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Wow, really? More than 1GB is in the top 10%? I use about 2GB, so I'm probably in the top 5%.

Streaming internet radio, YouTube, tethering and just using a lot of internet add up quickly.

Love Canada and my $30/unlimited data plan. :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
its funny that cell networks see usage as a bad thing. **** 'em!

If AT&T saw it as a bad thing, wouldn't they have turned down the iPad instead of agreeing to be its exclusive provider? Clearly it's going to have even higher data rates than the iPhone. I'd think they'd say no to that if you were right.

Wow, really? More than 1GB is in the top 10%? I use about 2GB, so I'm probably in the top 5%.

You don't have access to ANY wifi? I hop off 3G whenever I get the chance for something faster. I imagine many others are like me, which explains those numbers.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm just amazed that all these companies keep paying money for research about how much internet the iPhone uses. It's a lot! iPhone has been winning ever since at least the 3g model. I doubt that will change in the next year. Shouldn't one report a year be enough? It just seems like every week there is a new story about how the iPhone dominates the mobile web. Seems like a lot of money wasted just to say that the iPhone is amazing.

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
Maybe it's because the iPhone is such a user-friendly device... even my 16 month old toddler can turn the iPhone on and get to the photos app... he even differentiates b/t videos, which he plays, and photos which he just scrolls through...

For a lot of non-technical people out there, iPhone apps (both built-in and 3rd party) provide typically simple user interfaces for people to do all kinds of things online... the several times I've even tried to use a Blackberry browser, I was tempted to make Blackberry jam out of the device it was so unintuitive... I'm sure that's improved a lot with the "Storm" and other devices more similar to the iPhone, but the iPhone still has so many more apps that consume bandwidth that I would expect this trend to keep up for the foreseeable future.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
WOOHOO! I use at least double that of the average iPhone user!
:D

I typically use 500-600mb. Sometimes higher if I'm on a trip. That's why I wish the iPad's $15 plan was 500mb instead. But it isn't, so I doubt I'll get the 3g model. Plus the only reason I think my iPhone totals are that low is because I have WIFI at home, school, and work. I'm usually at one of those locations 90% of the time. I suspect this is true for other people too. Some days I turn off WIFI for whatever reason--usually because Mediacom sucks and is going 300k even though I pay for 12mbps. Then I'll switch over to 3g completely. It's so fast here on AT&T; I get 4-5mbps. So sometimes I forget to turn WIFI back on because 3g is so amazingly fast. So that will occasionally spike my amounts up to around 1gb if I leave it off for a few days.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
The iPhone typically accesses the full version of any given web site. e.g., it is downloading the same amount of data as a user at home on a 23" iMac and 20 mbit/sec. connection viewing the same site.

(1) Do some web servers automatically redirect other mobile users to a simplified mobile page, WAP, etc?
(2) If not (1), do other mobile users intentionally access the simplified versions of sites?
(3) Are there compression technologies at play for some mobile users- e.g. , e.g. proxy server in the middle?

These statistics don't necessarily mean that iPhone users are "using" their phone for more time than a Blackberry user. I'm not saying it doesn't mean that- but we'd need to see different statistics to know for sure.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I reset my usage stats each time I get a new bill. On the 3rd of each month.

I've used 35MB so far this month. That averages out to about 116MB.
Of course I have access to a lot of WiFi in Portland. It's everywhere. The city even has it's own free network.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
That's about right. I use my iPhone way more than I ever used my BlackBerry.

Let's hope ATT can come out ahead sooner than later, being that they're still the exclusive carriers.

craigc1264

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
A big flaw in this study is personal use vs. business use. Most blackberrys are for businesses. And most people don't use a business phone like they would a personal phone.

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I had a blackberry with a data plan and I never ever ever used the browser. Alright maybe once or twice in the year that I had it.

It was just so terrible and inconvenient. Basically just went on MSN, that's about it o_0

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A big flaw in this study is personal use vs. business use. Most blackberrys are for businesses. And most people don't use a business phone like they would a personal phone.

How is that a flaw? They said iPhones use more data, and they do. It's just a smiple fact, nothing more.

What's the flaw?

jupp0r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
its funny that cell networks see usage as a bad thing. **** 'em!

I totally agree, if roads are congested you extend them. Instead of investing in their infrastructure providers complain and tell people to drive less often.

lethalOne

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto ON

Try reading the whole article....

FTA: The data, obtained from over 1,000 consumer accounts

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
You don't have access to ANY wifi? I hop off 3G whenever I get the chance for something faster. I imagine many others are like me, which explains those numbers.

With 12 days left in my billing cycle the ATT app is reporting 3568MB usage.

3G is pretty quick in my frequent areas, but even when I'm in a wifi location I never use it anymore. Including home unless using vnc or sync 1password or something.

Why pay $30 a month for something and not use it?

I don't tether. Mainly stream music to phone on way to and from work and when out so technically my data would probably be the same anyway.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
i'm close to 5gb this month. I mostly average 4-5 gb. Streaming music does that for me. I live in the suburbs where I hardly ever see a smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.