AVERMEDIA TV Box9 TV tuner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravenvii, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

This product basically enables you to watch TV on any computer monitor - be it CRT or LCD. Look for it and buy it at Amazon.

I just did... and I just wanted to tell you guys I'm totally impressed! I recommend this product. The StarTech TV Jockey I got before this, well, sucked. The picture quality is HORRIBLE. And to top that off it only outputs at 640x480. So it makes the picture even worse on LCDs. Needless to say, I returned it, and decided to give the TV Box9 a try, which is about $35 more. It just arrived today, and I hooked it up. WOW! Impressive! It can output to any resolution up to 1280x1024. And yes it can output in widescreen too! (Awesome for you using Apple or Dell monitors!). The picture quality is simply put, awesome. It blew me away. No it is n't as good as a fancy HD TV, but it sure as hell blows away any eyeTV TV tuners. And to top that off, it has S-Video, Component, and Composite, and of course the RF plugs. It has everything. And it plays in real time, unlike the USB/Firewire TV tuners. And you can even get PIP with it! Plug your computer's VGA output into the device, and then put the output of the device into your display. This device will basically process a PIP. And believe it or not, you can even MOVE the PIP around with the remote! And it can be made transparent. I, personally, don't use this feature, since I use DVI output for my Mac mini, but if you don't mind using VGA, then this would be an sweet way to watch TV and use the computer at the same time.

Physically, the device is cool-looking, silver and can stand on it's side with a (included) holder thingy. It's about the size of a small paperback book. The box it comes in is also nice, everything in it's place, in a nice-built box. I'm one of those who appreciate nice packaging - Apple totally spoiled me! :)... The only negative on the physical side is the remote, it feels, well, cheap. It's not a bad remote mind you, it just feels light and cheap. Oh, and depending on how you look at things, the S-Video and Composite and Component ports are on the front of the device, not back, so you'll have wires coming out the front. I personally like the feature because I swap out my consoles and other stuff fairly often, so it being in the front makes it easier.

If you're looking for a way to consolidate TV-viewing into your LCD, and/or need to save space, I recommend this product wholeheartedly.

(I do NOT work at Avermedia, nor am I affiliated with them in any form!)

2. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Does it do essentially the same thing as EyeTV? Ie. encode tv and allow you to store it on your harddisk?

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

No, this is basically TV directly to your LCD monitor. Your computer isn't involved in any way (unless you use the PIP feature that is). So you can't record TV or anything.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Raven, do you mind sharing how much you paid? I would like to have something like this, but I don't want to spend a ton of money...