AVG Anti-Virus Free

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DeadSirius, Feb 28, 2007.

1. DeadSirius macrumors member

Whenever I try to get AVG Anti-Virus Free, it only directs me to a link to upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5. Since I had 7.1 removed from my machine, this upgrade obviously will not work. But I can never find a link to the actual 7.5 install itself. Does this even exist? How does one find it? Or better yet, is there a better free anti-virus option available?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

i believe the 7.5 "upgrade" isnt dependent on 7.1, but..

Personally I like nod32. Not free, but it's pretty good.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

4. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I had the same trouble at first. If you click around a while you will find it. Zonealarm and comodo are good free firewalls.

5. Optimus macrumors newbie

I've had AVG 7.1 and now 7.5 on my windows desktop and IMO it's better to uninstall the 7.1 first with the exception of the virus vault and then install the 7.5. I'll be using the AVG 7.5 on bootcamp windows too after I get my hands on a shiny new MBP. :)

6. nary macrumors newbie

Trouble finding free AVG for Mac or free 8.5 for anything

Hi,
    I've had trouble finding the free editions also. I have AVG on my PC, and it will pop up a notice that there is an upgrade, but when I click on it it takes me to pay-for versions. After a hunt I finally located the last upgrade before 8.5, but now I can't find the free 8.5!

Also, I went to their site to find a version for Mac, as I just bought an iMac and haven't connected to the internet yet because I don't have virus protection for it. I clicked all over the site and also searched for 'Mac,' 'Apple' and 'Mac antivirus' and came up with nothing. So I was very surprised to find you talking about it here!

Any suggestions for what I should do? (I am putting Fusion and Vista Home Premium on the iMac and want protection to cover both OS.)

7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

http://free.avg.com/

It will keep showing you the paid version but the free version is always right next to it on this site.

8. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

why would you need an anti virus for your mac??? Am I missing something here??? As I was told that macs are immune to virus, am I wrong in thinking this???

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have a look at the forum you are posting in. ;)

You still need anti virus for Windows in Bootcamp.

10. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Ok, right, sorry for my confusion. I also had trouble finding the avg free version at first, just need to look around some more then you''ll find it. Why pay for an anti virus anyways??? Doesn't make sense to me, just use avg....

11. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

my two cents on AVG. I've had two relatively recent rootkit attacks that rendered systems useless while running AVG Free, lastest version updated to the minute. Both were trojan horses that got the system files and couldn't be repaired with any of the industrial grade tools out there. Lots of time wasted. Not to say another would've caught it, but AVG didn't

In all fairness, my partner has paid version of AVG, and it caught/eliminated a few attacks within days of my system getting trashed. Get what you pay for I suppose...

My techie guy recommended Avast Free, and knock on wood, so far so good. It's alerted me to a few attempted Trojan attacks and deleted whatever was threatening.

Mark

12. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

:)

I dont like AVG much anymore... I had issues with it finding much...:cool:

I suggest avast.... its free for home use... all you need to do is register a email address for a key and you are good for a year, then next year when the new version comes out register with the same account and you will be good for another year.... dry rinse and repeat...:cool:

http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

13. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

How do you install this? Its not a dmg file and there isn't one in the zip.

14. chown33 macrumors 604

The posted link is for a Windows-only product. Go to their website and search it for the system requirements.

Enter the word Mac into their site's search box to find the Mac OS X product.

15. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Just use MS Internet Security and be careful about the sites you visit. You'll be fine.

16. PCapraru macrumors newbie

Avast! Free download

After my email got hacked twice, I downloaded Avast! free trial:
    http://www.avast.com/mac-edition#tab4

It's scanning my hard drive now, and I'm impressed with the interface so far. Let's see how it performs over the long haul.