Avi Codec for Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Patch^, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Patch^ macrumors regular

Is there any codec I can dowload to play AVI files with Quicktime? My friend sent me a project and some other things, which are in the avi file format. I know about Mplayer and VLC, but I want to use Quicktime, mainly because I want to use it on FrontRow, plus I like the GUI and functions in Quicktime.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

QuickTime should be able to play most .avi files without too much problem. The divx codec may be needed for some, however.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

AVI is not a codec. AVI is a file format for a container (as is quicktime). The container can contain video encoded with many different codecs (again just like quicktime). You need to find out the codec used for the video stream contained in the AVI file (and possibly the audio stream too). The install that codec.

As mentioned above divx is the most likely, although WMV can be contained in AVI too...

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

If you use get info on VLC you can find out what codec the file is using.

5. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

6. Patch^ thread starter macrumors regular

Done and Done. The files seem to be working in Quicktime now :) ...not well but they work. But they don't work in Front Row? Is it possible?

7. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Chances are, it's not the right codecs for the file. The audio could be in AC3 format and not the MP3 that would work. For now, there is no Universal AC3 component (I'm assuming you have an intel model?) so you'll have to wait. Otherwise, Google up "AC3 mac" or something and drag it into your "QuickTime Plug-ins" or whatever it's called.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Download the A52 Codec which is Universal and plays AC3 audio. It works for me playing some DIVx formatted movies that contain AC3 audio.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

whew, thanks mate! been looking for a universal AC3 codec for a while.

Still looking for a universal x264 codec though...

11. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

VLC uses x264 and is now Universal. Get it HERE

12. Patch^ thread starter macrumors regular

yea that codec works :). I also didn't restart with DivX so that could of been a problem lol. But everything works excellently now.

Thanks for your help guys :)

13. Fisse macrumors newbie

As requested he is the link:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20273

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OK! a bit of newb info going around here. Perian is THE best video and audio codec for QuickTime Player. it includes A52, AC3 and DivX codecs which have already been mentioned.

anyone who hasnt installed the above three codecs should install Perian and you will get videos playing fine. if you have already installed the above three make sure you remove them and then install Perian (if you dont know how to remove them dont install it!).

theres also VLC which pretty much plays everything but it doesnt integrate into the system with QuickTime.