Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Hello guys..... ive been having problems with playing avi files on quicktime for about a month now.

It was alright before.. then suddenly, Quicktime couldn't play avi as smooth anymore. It takes a long time to load, and the video is choppy and laggy. Ive tried it with numerous avi files... but the problem is still there! Now im using VLC to view my avi files which works fine. But i just wanna know how to get my quicktime working the way it was before.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have noticed something similar in the past few weeks.

i know it not perfect, but i have found that if you pause the video, wait a second or 2 then resume it, it is much better

lpshean

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
russed said:
i have noticed something similar in the past few weeks.

i know it not perfect, but i have found that if you pause the video, wait a second or 2 then resume it, it is much better

Hmm.. doesnt realy work.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
on another thought, have you trashed the .plist file for dvd player and tried repairing permissions?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
russed said:
on another thought, have you trashed the .plist file for dvd player and tried repairing permissions?

Nice line of thinking but DVD Player's preferences have little to do with QuickTime AFAIK. If you're going to delete preferences, aim for com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist although I'm not sure it'll help. I've always found QuickTime to be a bit slow. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
crap freakboy said:
I've always found QT sluggish, especially when viewed in Safari. Firefox is better, but VLC and iMediaPro beats them both. No point really, just felt like typing.:)

That's more to do with the QuickTime plugin, with the preference file named com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist if you want to delete it. :D

Alternatively, you could play around with the streaming speed from inside System Preferences.

Once again, I doubt it'll help though. :eek:

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
crap freakboy said:
I've always found QT sluggish, especially when viewed in Safari. Firefox is better, but VLC and iMediaPro beats them both. No point really, just felt like typing.:)

I agree, QT has never played my avi files as well as VLC player. Although I don't know why your video files would have gotten less smooth over time. Do you have the latest version installed?

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Quicktime is a bit hit-or-miss with avi's - it depends on the codec.
I sometimes find that Quicktime 'jitters' for a frame occasionally with some and others it gets itself out of sync. The pausing trick mentioned above fixes that though.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
QT used to play my avi files perfect until i started using VLC, now it doesnt even play my avi files (QT). so if i want quicktime to play avi's, i have to reinstall divx, and as soon as i play an avi file in VLC, the same problem occurs in QT.

VLC is trying to take overrrrr....

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
this is funah said:
QT used to play my avi files perfect until i started using VLC, now it doesnt even play my avi files (QT). so if i want quicktime to play avi's, i have to reinstall divx, and as soon as i play an avi file in VLC, the same problem occurs in QT.

VLC is trying to take overrrrr....

VLC will play almost "all" formats available at present. Good for the developers of VLC if it does take over. :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Uma888 said:
I had the same problem with quicktime, then the same thing with VLC (I know ihave the option to edit sync settings), i switched (back to) the king "Mplayer" it works alot better imo

MPlayer worked 50/50 when I was using it. VLC has been more dependable for my usage. :)

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I think it has less to do with .avi and more to do with DIVX. The DIVX codec is not yet supported in Quicktime 7+. Yes, it will playback but if the bitrate is too high, Quicktime will choke. Until they optimize Divx (or Quicktime), playback will be chunky on larger frame sizes.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Sedulous said:
I think it has less to do with .avi and more to do with DIVX. The DIVX codec is not yet supported in Quicktime 7+. Yes, it will playback but if the bitrate is too high, Quicktime will choke. Until they optimize Divx (or Quicktime), playback will be chunky on larger frame sizes.

have you got the latest version of divx? version 5.2.1 is not the latest version as there is the new one out in beta for mac. you have to hunt around for it though.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
russed said:
have you got the latest version of divx? version 5.2.1 is not the latest version as there is the new one out in beta for mac. you have to hunt around for it though.

Yes, I have 6

Milan

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
Where can I get the QuickTime codec for Divx 6?
Can somebody point me to the direction where I have to "hunt around for it"?

Thanks
~milan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.