AVI To DVD Format...HELP!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by solidgoldmini, Nov 23, 2004.

1. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2004
    In a house. On a street. In a city.
    Hello everyone!
    Here's my situation, and I hope someone more knowledgeable about these things can help. My office is full of Desperate Housewives watchers, and unfortunately, due to some family issues, someone here missed this week's episode. Being the resourceful computer dork that I am, I found the episode online via torrent downloading. Now, I've downloaded these files before, and I'm stuck on figuring out how to put them on a DVD. I have the file for this week's show in AVI format, which Quicktime says it can't handle, and no software is available for it to handle it. Here's what I have...I have FFMpegX which will play the file with the MPlayer codec. I have QT Pro and Toast. I would just like to be able to put the file on a DVD so I can watch it on TV. Unfortunately, there are so many confusing options on FFMpegX for converting, that I am lost. I've tried to do this before with other files, and I waited a long time and it didn't work in the end. I know for Toast you need some kind of VIDEO_TS folder or something? Please, I would be extremely grateful and would love this place even more, if someone out there could help me figure this out. And remember, I can handle most programs, but this video stuff is confusing-so please be understanding. I mean, what is muxing, and for god's sake why would I want to do it? (Oh yeah, in FFMpegX, it says the file I have is as follows: VIDEO: mpeg4, 624x352, 23.98 fps. AUDIO: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 153 kb/s)
    THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance. :)
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Well, besides the avi file format, the file is mpeg4, probably Divx format (at least that's the prevalent format to sharing). DVD players, except for a couple new ones from Philips and JVC, won't play mpeg4. The native format for DVDs is mpeg2. You would have to transcode the mpeg4 you have to mpeg2 and then mux the audio into the mpeg2 video. FfmpegX has profiles for formatting your mpeg2 output for DVD.

Frankly, my suggestion would be to watch it on your Mac.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You want a DVD right? The option for video codec you need is called MPEG2 [.MPG] (ffmpeg). The file output by this conversion process is in the right format for burning to DVD with Toast. Choose NTSC FILM as the framerate unless you're in a country that uses PAL; in that case, choose PAL. The "convert video" box should be checked. You're going to want to check the "Author as DVD" box in Options also. If your file already has the video and audio combined (which it appears to be), you don't need to do any "muxing" (multiplexing - when making video files, it refers to combining multiple audio and video tracks into one file). You'll want the audio encoded as MP2 at 48000 KHz, 224 kbps. Do you need any of the other options explained to you? All of this advice comes from the
    ffmpegX homepage, since I've never used ffmpegX.
  4. hitsuzen macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2004
    If you want to watch it using quicktime, you need the right codecs
    like divx and 3vix

If you still want to turn this into a dvd just use quicktime pro( since you have it)
    File> Export
    choose a name and location for your file and under Export,
    choose - Movie to MPEG2, dont need to mess with the options.

then you can use Toast to make the Dvd
  5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    Or you can just download these plugins, drag the avi into Toast (6) and click on burn. It's that easy.
  6. hitsuzen macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2004
    Yes, that's right, sorry.

as long as quicktime can read it, you can use it in toast right away.