.avi to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMAC G5dreamer, Dec 18, 2005.

1. iMAC G5dreamer macrumors member

please guys i need to burn some .avi files to a dvd ,so that i can watch them on the tv.Can somebody please tell me how to do so,i have ffmpeg ,what i need to know is which setting do i need and which format ,so that i can burn it with idvd

thanks a lot guys
    daniel

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Have you tried Toast 7? It can export Divx files to DVD-Video. Haven't tried it myself.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. skimaxpower Guest

If you can open the files in Quicktime, then you can conver the files to MPEG2 with QT Pro. You can then burn your MPEG-2 files with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, or Toast.

4. yellow bear macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Im trying to do the same thing, I have toast 7 and some avi files (what exactly does that mean) wic i would like to burn to dvd, but for some reason toast does a funny little shakey thing when I tell it to burn! The file will go into toast fine and even play in the preview bit but it just wont burn it (and there is even enough space!)
    anyone clued up on this?

also my avi files are like this: "XViD.avi" at the end is that ok?

Id appreciate any help!

Thanks

Claire x

5. skimaxpower Guest

DIVX and XVID are variations of the MPEG4 codec.

You need to convert the files to MPEG2 so that they'll work on a DVD player. I could be wrong, but I don't think Toast 7 can do this.

You'll need to get QT Pro, or some other program that can convert to MPEG2. After conversion, you'll have two files

- filename.m2v (this one is the video file)
    - filename.aiff (this one is the audio file)

Make sure to include both of them in Toast, or you won't have sound!

6. yellow bear macrumors newbie

I now have those two files but toast 7 is still doing this funny little shake thing and wont burn them, they do fit on the disk with some space so it's not that the files are too big, whats going on!?
    anyone know how to help me?

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

While Toast may say that there is disk space available what is the actual length of your program? If it's longer than roughly 2 hours Toast won't burn it on a standard 4.7 GB disk. Toast will burn (convert on the fly) .avi files to DVDs that work in any DVD player. It's pretty slick but it takes forever to convert.

8. yellow bear macrumors newbie

The programme is about 1 hr and a half, It really should fit, it didnt burn it when it was an .avi file and now iv converted it to a mv2 it still wont!
    it wont even start doing anything, it just does this funny shake thing!

9. skimaxpower Guest

er...right, forgot this part:

In order for your DVD to work with a TV DVD player, you need a menu structure. This can be created with iDVD, DVDstudiopro, or many crappy shareware programs. You should have no problem moving your .m2v and .aiff files into iDVD. You can burn from there, bypassing toast entirely.

NOTE: Toast 7 may be able to create DVD menus. I haven't used it, so I dunno.

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

not wanting to hijack the thread but, .avi files are compressed files. creating dvds to watch them on tv would be agonizing. imo.

11. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

they don't look THAT bad, and Toast 7 does it just fine for me. makes a menu and everything

12. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

what procedure do you follow to get .avi files to burn to a dvd's and play on a dvd player. Im trying to figure this out as well and i already have Toast 7. Thanks.

13. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I used Toast to do this for a while but I have found VisualHub does a much better job.