Avi to Mov/MP4 Converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nateDEEZY, Feb 10, 2007.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Well in preparation for Apple TV I'd like to convert Xmen Seasons 1-5 to an itunes compatible format. Anyone know of any good converters and what's the best format to go from Avi (possibly a divx codec) to an itunes compatible one?

2. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

VisualHub is the best- conrvets anything to anything, really.
    As for a codec- mp4 should do the trick.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want zero (or close) configuration and free, VisualHub has an excellent little brother, iSquint, as well. It's sole purpose is to take any kind of video and move it into MPEG-4 / H.264. It even auto-imports it into iTunes for you.

4. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I second iSquint - quick and easy (and free) for what you want.
    VisualHub is great, and can convert practically anything but may be overkill for this.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ffmpegx is versatile free converter. (u can donate if u want to support their development)

6. czeluff macrumors 6502

Toast

Toast 8 can do all of his as well. If you have Toast 8, choose the "Video" button on the left, simply drag the avi (or whatever) file into the window, then hit the
    "export" button at the bottom. then choose "iPod".

there u go.

cz

7. nateDEEZY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all your replies, has anyone tried divix doctor ii?

8. Millwood macrumors regular

I find whatever I convert using VisualHub plays back weird in quicktime for some reason. I haven't been too pleased with it, besides the fact that it does fast encoding.

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'd like to throw another vote in for FFmpegX. Will convert just about anything into just about anything else. And it's free.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

OK I have a related question: Any chance of finding an ap that does avi-wmv?

11. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

others have been looking for something similar, but i am not sure that it has been solved: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3332347

Does WM player 9 convert things for you? (i've never used it so i don't know).

12. mkubal macrumors 6502a

The recent beta builds of Visual Hub are now able to properly encode wma into the wmv videos. I used it the other day to convert an H.264 rip of The Big Lebowski to WMV for streaming to the 360. It worked flawlessly. Great program. Easily worth the price.

Edit: Actually the most recent release (1.21) now supports the WMV encoding that I was using in the beta. I should have checked before posting.