avi to video cd?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bookworm182, Aug 17, 2004.

1. bookworm182 macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2004
    Hi everybody, I just had a quick question. I have several files with the .avi extension (it says they are Windows Media Player Documents in the Get Info panel) and I'd like to burn them to a Video CD using Toast Titanium 6. However, I can't seem to get the files to encode into the right formats for a video CD. If I drag them directly into Toast, I get a system error because it uses Quicktime to change their type, and Quicktime doesn't recognize (play) these files. Strangely enough, neither does Windows Media Player. However, MPlayer OS X plays them just fine. Is there any way I can get them into the right format? MPlayer doesn't have a way to convert them. I'm running 10.3.5, Powerbook 15" 1.25 ghz w/ Superdrive, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    You have to download the appropriate plugins (DivX, 3ivX etc.) which allow you to play these files with Quicktime. And you need a fast processor, because the encoding takes a while...
  3. bookworm182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2004
    thanks, but...

does anyone know where I can find such a plugin? where I should install it? etc etc? I forgot to mention I have Quicktime Pro, if that's of any help. Thanks!
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Try installing 3ivx first, and if QuickTime still won't open it then try DivX.
  5. bookworm182 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2004
    it worked!

Thanks for all your help everybody. For anyone who's interested I installed 3ivx and DivX Doctor II and everything worked fine. Thanks!
  6. sgwigle3 macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2004
    Salisbury, UK
    A big BUT!

I've tried to do the same thing with the exception of the end result. I've got Divx and Xvid etc, and AVI works fine in Quicktime and I enjoying watching them on my Powerbook. What I would like to do now is burn them to DVD so I can watch them on my XBOX / TV. I have Quicktime Pro, and clicked Export to MPEG 4 so I could drag it into iDVD to burn the movie (cause Avi won't work?), however once the export is complete... the aspect ratio is all screwed. It turns any wide-screen presentation into a square and pulls the picture in with it.

How can I export an AVI file to burn to DVD maintaining the aspect ratio?! Please help! Losing space on my Powerbook! (All latest software but not toast?)