[.avi] video but no sound...only videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2Shae, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2006
    Ok so I already have a codec pack installed to view most video files including .avi files, but I found out that some videos have no sound and only video.
    Till now it has only happened to 2 video btw.

The weird thing is that there is sound with the video when I play them with VLC. But I don't want to use VLC since I like Frontrow.

Does anyone know why this is?

PS: this is the codec pack:
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    AVI is one of those container formats that could contain just about anything. You've encountered one of those oddball AVIs that is supported by VLC but not QuickTime, even with the codec pack. I'm not sure what to suggest, other than trying to figure out what codec the audio part of the video uses in VLC and look for a QuickTime plugin for it.
  3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    most likely its the AC3 codec.

4. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2006
  5. TAV macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2006
    Open the flick in VLC and choose Window < Information from the menu. Select Advanced Info tab and report the codec used in Stream 1 (audio).
  6. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2006
    codec = a52

but I already have that one:confused:
    My one is called A52Codec.component

EDIT: I've tried reinstalling the codec but it still doesn't work
  7. TAV macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2006
    I would reinstall to insure you have the latest, greatest:

Then closed the QT app and re-open it. See if that gets things sorted.

Edit: I see you've done this already...a taxing but final solution is to re-encode that flick using something like ffmpegx with QT compatible video/audio codecs.
  8. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2006
    Yeah ok
    i'll try that then. But i'll try that tomorrow because I'm getting tired:p

Anyway many tnx for taking the time to help TAV !!
  9. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2006

I just wanted to say that I've tested other video files with AC3 and those do have sound so it's probably just that one movie that didn't work right
  10. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Feb 15, 2006
    Fujairah, UAE
    This will be no help to the OP, however I have encountered a similar problem. I have a short film on DVD which is MPEG 4 wrapped in a .avi. It plays fine on a DVD player with MPEG 4 compatability, however, on my Mac, using Quicktime, I get video but no audio. According to my mac there is no audio present in the file.

Incidentally, the .avi was made by a colleague on a PC. We were trying to find a way to burn MPEG 4 movies onto DVD to then watch on a regular TV using a DVD player. On my Mac I have yet to find a way to burn the MPEG 4s to DVD in such a way that the MPEG 4 compatable DVD player can read them. In the end it has turned out to be soooo much hassle that we stopped the quest.