.avi will not play with any decoder...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sean7512, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    I have a bunch of files from a security camera. They are all in .avi but I cannot find a decoder/player that will play the file. When I try to open it in VLC, here is there error:

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `GEOV'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

So, I need a GEOV decoder?? It plays fine on a WMP for Windows, but no luck on Mac OSX, any ideas??? I have no idea at all and thought I searched everywhere.

I am using an INTEL Mac, so a UB decoder would be needed, or definitely preferred, thanks in advance!
  2. Yuvi macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    Could you send a small sample to me? It seems from googling they should be simple MPEG4-ASP, which would be relatively easy to add support for in various media players, but I'd like to check to make sure.
  3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Absolutely I can. I'm heading off to school now, but check your private messages a little later. I'll get in contact with you after I'm home from school. Thanks soo much!
  4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
  5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    It's a proprietary codec for Geovision security systems which is PC-based, so it's Windows only.

Given it's specialized, non-commercial use it's unlikely you will see ports of this one to other platforms.
  6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    VLC will always tell you what to google for.

And as is said above, "GEOV" is a proprietary codec. rarely seen.

youll need a windows (or since you got an intelmac, your own machine) to edit these.
  7. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2006
    Has anyone had any new luck with this codec? I'm still trying hard to get a codec or Internet Explorer with Crossover to do this for me.
  8. mgmktx macrumors member

May 15, 2006
    Sorry but I think you may have to play the videos in Windows. I had the same problem when I wanted to edit videos captured in Fraps (FPS1 codec)