Avid Xpress Tape Names Driving Me Crazy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoshRtek, Nov 27, 2004.

1. JoshRtek macrumors member

Hello all,

I am using Avid Xpress at my film school (a very, very old version on a very, very old Mac) to edit a little trailer for our upcoming screening. I have about 50 source MiniDV tapes. After I wrote down all the timecode for all the clips I wanted, I proceeded to log the clips in Avid, NOT inserting each tape into the deck while I logged. During the logging process, I created my own tape name without a tape in the deck. Now, when I try to digitize, I get the dreaded "Avid expected a non-drop frame tape, a drop-frame tape is in the deck"...yadda yadda.

Do I really have to re-log everything while putting each tape into the deck as I go about my list? Why would they give you the option of associating media clips to tapes that aren't in the deck? If I can avoid it, I'd really not like to re-log everything, rather find a way to resource the tapes.

I've already tried creating a new tape ID but inserting on the source MiniDVs in the deck and changing the source of the clips themselves...but to no avail, Avid simply doesn't want to recognize the old clips with their new source tape, even though it has the same time exactly. Any ideas? I'm hopefully stumpped. Thanks! :)

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Are you able to set you Avid project to use Drop Frame Time Code? I would have thought I can work in both modes.

3. advres Guest

advres

Is the timecode on the tapes complete the whole way through? Can you digitize anything? If you put them on Beta first you probably wouldn't have this problem if you named your tapes correctly.

I would ask at the creativecow.net forums. They have a whole AVID forum.

4. advres Guest

advres

I just read the original post again. When you get into the digitize screen it asks yout to insert a tape and there is a name pane. Are you calling your tape the name or are you just saying "I want all the logs with 'this name' to be from this tape"? Like I said before, I haven't used AVID in a while but those old systems can be tempermental.

Sorry if none of these posts helped.

5. JoshRtek thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guy,

I figured out that if I select all the clips from each specific tape and modify their source code to "drop-frame," it effectively solves my problem. However, I do appreciate all the suggestions... :)

-Joshua