AVIs in iTunes/Frontrow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Munch, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Munch macrumors member

Jun 20, 2006
    I've got some AVI files which I want to appear in the "TV Show" front row menu. Is this possible? How would I go about doing it?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Download and install the DivX QuickTime codec.
  3. Patch^ macrumors regular

Mar 11, 2005
    Great Britain
  4. Munch thread starter macrumors member

Jun 20, 2006
    I already have divx and xvid working on the system, so that's not what I'm trying to do. What I want is for the movie file to appear under itunes under, for instance, the "TV Shows" category. So basically tag an AVI file as a TV show so that when I'm using Front Row I can see the name of the file from the GUI under TV Shows. I know how to put them under Movies (just put in movie directory) but there's no equivilent for TV Shows.

On the same note, I have a lot of vid clips within iPhoto as part of my albums. How can I get them to appear under "Movies" in Frontrow without making a duplicate copy in the Movies folder? I tried making a smart folder that rounds up all the clips in the Movie folder, but that didn't work.
  5. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    THey have to be added to the iTunes library and then tagged as a TV Show. I think it is in the genre pull sown menu.
  6. Munch thread starter macrumors member

Jun 20, 2006
    How do you add an AVI to iTunes? I tried import and "add to library" but they don't show up in the program.
  7. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2006
    I used a program called iSquint to convert my avi files to mp4.

After I converted I used lostify to tag them as TV Shows.
  8. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Pretty much the only way to do it until Apple opens up FrontRow/iTunes some more.

Link to Lostify.