AVI's suddenly not playing in VLC or QT

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swindmill, Aug 28, 2005.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I have downloaded several copies of a video I'm trying to watch, but VLC won't show the video or play the sound. You can see the file playiing from the controller but nothing happens. I have also tried to play these files in QT 7 along with the several plugins I have such as 3ivx and Divx. QT just shows a still screen with color bars. Can anyone tell me what causes these problems with an AVI file??

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are going to have to give a link to the files. Guessing is fun, but it is not a good way to help a neighbor.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, we must establish if this is all AVIs or simply the one you are wanting to play.

4. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I appreciate the sarcasm Misterme; nothing like getting a condescending reply on an internet forum.

To be clear, this is has happened with the last 10-15 AVI's I've tried to play. They are all completely different.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have never found anything (apart from the latest WMVs) that will not play on either VLC or MPlayer - try the files with MPlayer and see if you get the same results. If so, check your old AVIs that you know do play, and see if they still do. Then we can go from there...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Hurt feelings aside, you are still not giving us any useful information. On my Mac, I am able to play virtually every .avi file that I want to play. I prefer the DivX QuickTime codec. Others swear by MPlayer or VLC. They all work, and for most people, they work well. So there must be something unusal about the files that you are trying to play or your setup. Without concrete information, we have no idea which it is.

If you link us to one or more of your problem files, we can test each one. This will immediately tell us whether the problem lies with the files or your setup. The choice is yours.