avi's won't play

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikey1, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mikey1 macrumors newbie

I have several avi's that will not play on my iMac G5. No player seems to work (wmv, vlc). Is this a common problem with macs? Is there a program that will convert the avi's into a playable format? I'm new here and if this is not the right forum for this question, please advise. Thanks.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Do you happen to know what codec was used to encode the file? Do you know if the file is corrupt? Have you tried Perian?

3. mikey1 thread starter macrumors newbie

avi's won't play

I'm running 10.3, perian says I need 10.4.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Bummer. Tried mPlayer or NicePlayer?

I'm surprised VLC won't play it, as it usually plays everything. Is this a file you could play on a Windows machine that won't play here? Do you know what encoder was used to create the file?

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Download the DivX codec, this will allow Quicktime and other players to play AVI format movies.

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

(also, be sure to restart after installing, or else it will give your format errors when trying to play)

6. mikey1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never tried NicePlayer, and have tried many times to igure out mPlayer but I guess I'm not computer savvy enough. And, yes, these avi's will play on a windows machine.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What error does VLC give you when you try to play the file? VLC can't play WMV10 files, or anything with DRM (except DVDs).

8. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Strangely, when VLC won't play my avi's, sometimes QT will. Not saying that it's 100% of the time, but I think there are some weirdly-created avi's.