Avoid the Incase iPod sleeve

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Stampyhead, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Hello fellow iPod users,
    I purchased a 20GB Click wheel iPod from the Apple store a few weeks ago and the sales guy recommended the Incase iPod sleeve to carry it. He said the clip holds really tightly and the inside won't scratch the iPod.
    He was right about the belt clip, but after a few days my iPod developed several hairline scratches on the front. I didn't really pay attention to it much at first (I'm not one to whine about a few scratches), but over time it developed more and more of them. I'm always careful to protect my iPod from anything that could damage it, so it's kind of frustrating that the damage came from the case that was supposed to be protecting it! Ironically, it says in several places on the package of the Incase that the inside will not scratch the iPod.
    As I said, I'm not one complain about cosmetics, the iPod still works just fine. But what is annoying is that if I ever want to sell it in the future I wouldn't be able to get as much for it with all those scratches on the front.
    I have nothing against Incase and I'm not doing this to badmouth them, I just wanted to warn others who might be considering buying their products and are as uninformed as I was.
    I'm going to try taking it back to the Apple store (just the case, not the iPod) and see if I can get something else. Hopefully it's not too late...

2. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

I think if you kept the iPod floating in a vacuum it would still get scratched.

3. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

4. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

I've tried the iceCreme® and iceCremeM® and they work well though it takes a good deal of time to fix scratches in an iPod to get anywhere near the original luster. I can only imagine how hard the new black iPod is to keep unscathed. You should check out Foof pod holders for an scratch free case. The other more practical case is the Timbuk2 case.

5. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, I like those Timbuktu cases. I might go to the Apple store tomorrow and see if they have any. Maybe they'll swap the crappy case they sold me for one of those.

6. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

In case anyone cares, I was able to exchange the Incase sleeve at the Apple store for a nice Timbuktu sleeve. Those guys at the Apple store are really understanding and helpful...