Avoiding sleep mode...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DavidERas, Nov 21, 2006.

1. DavidERas macrumors newbie

I have a new C2D MBP and am new to all things Mac. I was wondering if their is a way to disable sleep mode upon closing the computer. I sometimes do large downloads and would like to be able to close my computer without the download stopping or resetting.

2. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

I wouldn't recommend it. If it's awake with the lid closed, it will overheat majorly.

That being said, there might be a firmware hack for what's affectionately called 'clamshell mode'

3. DavidERas thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it would really overheat? I wouldn't be putting it in a bag or anything so the vent wouldn't be blocked. Also it would really only be the HDD doing any work...

Also I do it with my 5 yr old Sony laptop often with no problems.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Running your MBP with the lid closed is fine...Apple supports this when the computer is attached to an external display, keyboard and mouse. There used to be a couple of third-party apps (InsomniaX and SleepLess) that allowed you to prevent your laptop from sleeping when you closed the lid with no externals attached. Unfortunately, they were broken on Intel machines with the 10.4.8 update and there's no word on when (or if) they'll be operational again.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I run my C2D Macbook Pro with the lid closed all the time - and did it with a Powerbook for three years before that. That's standard procedure for anyone with an external monitor.

You can change the power management settings from the command line (in Terminal). The command is "pmset". It can change, among other things, what the laptop does when you close the lid.

Not sure why you'd want to do this unless you have an external monitor connected - and in that case the laptop won't go into sleep mode anyway.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Can you explain in a bit more detail how you do this? I wasn't aware that pmset had an argument for lid-closing settings. I know you can use it to tell your Mac not to wake up when the lid is opened, but that's the opposite of what we're talking about.

I don't have a need for this mode, but there seem to be a lot of people who want to be able to maintain network activity while their laptops are closed, for whatever reason.

7. Slvgx macrumors member

I'd be interested in more information as well. I'd looked at the 3rd party apps as I was doing the updates for 10.4. If there's any way to keep internet connectivity while the lid is closed I'd be very interested. It'd also be nice to close it while outputting a movie to my TV.

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Type "man pmset" in the Terminal to get info on how to change power management options.

9. Slvgx macrumors member

I think this is still a bit over my head. :confused:

Just by going by what I read above it seems like I may by accident make it so my computer doesn't wake from it's closed lid, now that would be a bummer.

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I made a mistake. I thought I'd seen an additional setting for this in the man pages; but having gone back in I see that I was wrong. Sorry about that.