Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Aw geez, I got tons of old Macs!

Anyone else like this, where you just keep buying and buying and getting until you realize your basement is full?

I have a Centris 650, two LCIIs, two 6116CDs, a 6115CD, and like tons of other things. It is crazily insane!

Either way, will an LCII with 16MB of RAM run 7.6.1? What about 8.0 or 8.1? Is there any way to "force" 8.0 onto it?

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
im_to_hyper said:
Aw geez, I got tons of old Macs!

Anyone else like this, where you just keep buying and buying and getting until you realize your basement is full?

I have a Centris 650, two LCIIs, two 6116CDs, a 6115CD, and like tons of other things. It is crazily insane!

Either way, will an LCII with 16MB of RAM run 7.6.1? What about 8.0 or 8.1? Is there any way to "force" 8.0 onto it?

heh, yeah, that has almost happend to me :D So all the PC stuff had to go :cool:

The LC Should be able to run OS 7.61 fine, as my Centris 610 is running OS 8 with 12mb ram.. not the fastest, but it should work. If not, use OS 7.1.. I dont think i'd use force 8, but that is up to you...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
im_to_hyper said:

Wasn't there a thread about this like two weeks ago.

Compared to my collection that is quickly nearing 80 Macs, your basement doesn't seem all that full.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
all i want to do is buy a replacement LC475, the one i had was plugged in during a thunder storm and must have got fryed cause it has never worked since.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
The LC II can't have 16mb of ram. Its maximum limit is 10mb (4mb soldered on and another 8mb can be added but only 10mb total is recognized because Apple was cheap when it came to hardware back then). As for OS 7.6, that's totally doable, since I had mine running on 7.6 for a few years. Anything higher than that and you'll feel like you're running a mac plus

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
As has been mentioned, 7.6 won't be a problem.

OS 8 is doable, but will be dirt slow on a 10 MB system, and takes a bit of work to even get it on there, as OS 8 won't officially install on systems with a 68030 or earlier. You have two options:

Use Born Again, a shareware program that modifies the OS 8 boot process to convince it to install on a nonsupported system. It's easy to use, and it works like a charm. But it costs money.

Use Wish I Were, a freeware program that makes your Mac pretend it's a different Mac (along with some other freeware, see link.) You can use it to make your LC pretend is is a model that has a 68040, then install OS 8. This takes some work, though, because you HAVE to dual-boot with a 'supported' OS, as Wish I Were's modification doesn't survive a cold boot. This is harder to use, but it's free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.