AWESOME Apple Customer Service Experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pcguru83, Nov 17, 2006.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Hey guys,

I just absolutely had to share the most amazing customer service experience I've ever experienced in my 23 short years. Short version--I'm now a Brand New MacBook Pro owner at a cost of only $1199. Here's the details:

I purchased a mid-level MacBook a few days ago. When I got it home, it had a cluster of dead/stuck pixels right towards the middle of the screen. So I exchange it with no problems. I'm now on MacBook #2.

So, I get this new MacBook home and load up all my software. After about an hour or so, the screen starts ever so slightly flickering. Not extremely noticeable, but bothersome none the less. So, once I again I take it in, show a genius, and get a new MacBook. This is MacBook #3.

And wouldn't you know, this one has the same flicker problem! I was extremely frustrated at this point. I figured I would cut my losses, pay the restocking fee, and get my money back.

When I get to the Apple Store, a nice guy (I assume a manager) helps me out. I explain the problem, and what I want done. He offers to simply exchange the MacBook once more without speaking to a Genius. I decline, just because I was done messing with it. I didn't want to take another 45 minute drive to the Apple Store.

Now here's where it gets good. He then says, "I don't want you to leave here with a bad impression of Apple. If you will give it one more try, I will upgrade you to a BRAND NEW MacBook PRO at no additional charge." I think I just about fainted. Seriously. I was absolutely stunned.

Bottom line, I basically got a MacBook Pro for $1199. How cool is that? I'm typing this now from a Brand New 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro...and it's perfect so far. :)

I can just about guarantee this experience has made me an Apple Customer for life. Go Apple! :D

2. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Sorry you had problems a couple times... but isn't there something about something coming to those who wait? Yeah, I think that happened to you...

3. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Wow. That is fantastic. Makes me think that there really is a push to increase market share.

Enjoy the computer-- they're fantastic.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

wow.. lucky! sorry about your troubles, though, I'm sure at this point you're almost glad you had them! haha

5. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I have heard of this happening before, maybe I should of not bought a Macbook Pro and instead bought a faulty Macbook and get a free upgrade

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks for posting your positive experience, so often around here we only hear about the bad times that people have. Oh, and damn you for getting such a good deal :p.

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Awesome deal. :D You went through a lot of hassle but it was definitely worth it.

8. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

That's exactly why I posted it. We (myself included) have a tendency to focus on the negatives on this forum. It's encouraging to hear that Apple actually can (and does) make things right from time to time.

I'm super impressed with this MacBook Pro. I'm still in utter shock. :D

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

An $800 net upgrade for time spent with 3 faulty MBs and accompanying mental anguish is the right thing for Apple to do by you. Congrats.

I mentioned a good experience with AppleCare in another thread, where they repaired a HD on a PB G4 15" running Panther 10.3.9 and it came back with Tiger installed on it, all for no charge. I've had good experiences with AppleCare Customer Service.

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I would have expected nothing less in this situation. :p

Congrats, here's hoping it serves you well. :)

11. hapablap macrumors newbie

12. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Honestly, I've absolutely fallen in love with this computer. If something goes wrong at this point, I'll go through the hassle of sending it off to Apple Care.

But hey, I'm optimistic at this point. I've used this one longer than any of the previous MacBooks and this one is working out great for me. The MacBook Pro rocks!

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Just try to remember, Drool is not covered under warranty :D

14. oober_freak macrumors regular

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The prices on new old stock MacBook (Yonah) 32 bit Core Duo and refurbished
    models are so reasonable now, that you might as well go for the MacBook.

If you need better performance than the MacBook 2.0 GHz can offer or dedicated
    VRAM, then the iMac is the better choice.

Even so, I completely agree that Apple needs to offer a nice pro-sumer matching
    17" WS display to go with the mini or any future pro-sumer desktop.

16. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

That's when the whip out a Powerbook G5 that they have been saving for a special occasion. :eek:

17. oober_freak macrumors regular

Oh, I meant if my mac mini had a screen, and it had bad pixels, I would've got a new screen, and then another one, and then I'd get an iMac. :rolleyes:
    :p

*wakes up*

I'll be getting a Macbook next yr for B-school :)

18. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

Wow, thats pretty nice. I had an opposite experience. I just bought my first Apple, a black macbook, and have been horribly disappointed by their customer service. I had to return my first black macbook due to problems, and now my second black macbook has numerous problems. After taking it up to the apple store, they tell me that the random shutdowns are due to me closing the lid of the computer too early (which I guess is possible but still it seems like design defect). After showing them some of the other problems with the computer (i.e. large amount of warpage, casing seems to becoming apart in numerous areas) they basically told me that they could see the problems, but they can't guarantee that Apple will fix it, as they don't fix things that don't affect the functionality of the machine.

I found that just plain rediculous, as it seems like much of the reason Apple wants you to choose them is due to the "look" of their computers. I didn't have time to really decide what to do about it then so I left. Does anyone have advice on what I might be able to try to get some satisfaction? I'm tempted to never buy another Apple again.

19. klb028 macrumors 6502

That's awesome! Congrats! Glad to hear you love the MBP. :)

20. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

lucky for you :D

personally: I would have rather had the macbook (it's more portable)

21. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

LOL. please.. someone gives you a free MBP and you'd turn it down cause it's 2 inches too big? Right... :p

22. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

23. Dubba macrumors regular

That's exactly what I did - I got a 15" CD MBP as replacement for a 12" PB from AppleCare (UK) one week before the new ones came out.

I sold it the day before the C2D MBPs came out, and was able to get close to the full retail price.

I used the funds to purchase a full kitted out C2D MB (2GB RAM & 160GB HD & AppleCare -vs- 512MB RAM & 80GB HD & NO Apple Care on the 15" CD MBP).

As I wanted a glossy screen anyway and prefer the size, it was definitely the way for me to go. Yes, I'd love it if Apple made a smaller MBP, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen, so I went with the MB and will use the funds sved to buy an external monitor in January 2007.

24. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Considering I just sold my 17 inch MBP for a blacbook- yes