Awesome Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

I found an awesome keyboard for Apple that I got to replace the keyboard that came with my PowerMac G5. I hate the keyborads that Apple has now with their new G5 and iMac computers. The keys are so soft and flat. I sure miss the old style keyboard!!

Check out the one I ordered by Matias...... It's awesome and it's just like the old Apple keyboard that was so popular!!

http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

$100 for THAT keyboard?!

4. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    That sure is a nifty keyboard... I can rember when the DataDesk ADB ones were popluar, they were so cool, I had one that works with Mac 128k to G5 with no adapters. It has 3 connection ports... Now no one knows of that great one:).

5. Mustafa macrumors regular

Thank you from an English speaker...

Call me old-fashioned, but 'nifty' seems so much more an appropriate adjective to describe a keyboard than the hyperbolic and worn-out 'awesome'.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I bet it's loud. I think I saw one of these keyboards at CompUSA in the Mac section. I first I thought it was an Apple keyboard.

I switched the the wireless BT Apple keyboard and have been really happy. I keep my G5 under my desk now. Now my desk is quieter than having an iMac G5 but with the same footprint. I hope they make a BT version of this new keyboard too.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    rar 100 doooooooolars NO WAY unless you buy it for me

8. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

It's $79 at smalldog.com and other stores. It has gotten great reviews and I guess it's a lot like the older Apple keyboards that were so popular. I hate the keyboard that came with the G5. The keys are so flat feeling.

9. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

excluding the "soft and flat" feature, what else is included in the 100 dollars?

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Theyre right that Apple's keyboards have slid downhill, but instead of paying $100 for that keyboard, do yourself a favor and go get one of Apple's old pro keyboards (black keys with clear/white frame) off of ebay

12. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

I said it was $79 on smalldog.com and other site. The keyboard was rated very highly and the guy I talked to said they have had a lot of orders for them.

I don't want a used keyboard from ebay. Who knows what's been spilled on the keyboard (ha ha)

13. bux macrumors regular

Hmmmm... I got my Power Mac about two weeks ago and I absolutely love the keyboard that came with it (the bluetooth keyboard). :D

14. ultrarad73 macrumors newbie

I don't understand why EVERYTHING has to be white. Doesn't apple understand that oils from your fingers turn those keys a nasty shade of yellow. I think they should have brought back the OLD extended keyboard and turned it silver to match the G5 - oh yeah, it would also match the new iMac - hmmmmmmm - seems like a winner to me.....

just a thought.....

frederick j. miller
    www.frederickjmiller.com

15. djkny macrumors 6502

Matias Tactile pro

The Matiias is the BEST keyboard. Period. All the other flat Apple BT keyboards are terrible; I've tried them all.

If you really go back with the Mac and have used the old Apple Extended Keyboard's, you'll know firsthand how Apple has cheapened its manufacturing. the matias is old school all the way and is proven to actually help the speed of your typing and cut down on errors -- how? don't ask me. Something about the tactile-audio response. But it sure does work. It's $79, only $10 more than the BT, which I've used and which sux.

16. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Heh, it's your money, buy it if you like it. For a $100, you could BTO for BT module, BT KB and Mouse at Apple. Meh.

17. vga4life macrumors 6502

How many hours a day do you spend using a keyboard?

A good keyboard is very important to me. At home I 'm willing to bow to the significant other's design sensibilities and use the stock white Apple keyboard, but at work (where I spend the most time at a computer) I use an old clicky IBM Model M keyboard. OK, I didn't pay $100 for it, but I would have if I had to - I'm way more comfortable and productive at work with my noisy-ass, buckling spring, mechanical switch monstrosity than with the mushy crap membrane-switch keyboards that come free with computers (or happy meals).

Those of us who work with computers for a living appreciate having the right keyboard. I've been toting this one from job-to-job for 5 years.

-vga4life

18. macaddictann macrumors member

I'm inclined to agree about quality over cost and all. Not sure about $100, though, not when, as it's been said, you can get one on eBay.

On my old work computer (PM G4 running 9.2), I hooked up a real old clacky keyboard; it required an adapter for the ports and looked awful, but ah, it was sweet. This was when we all got those nasty little "mini" black-key ones, the ones with keys that jammed up all the time... almost as bad as the round mice (and some of us had those, too). I said no way, jose'. I've gotta work on this thing--give me the 80s-era equipment or whatever. It's ugly but better quality.

I don't much like the current keyboards shipping. Yes, white's awful. As I type this, I see horrid discoloration on this keyboard, and this machine's only been out of the box a few months now, I guess. Good luck to us... Soft keys... blech, no thanks.

Is there any way to not get the included keyboard with a PowerMac and get the money taken off the bill? I'd rather have the $44 to go towards a real keyboard than their sad little mushy one.

19. djkny macrumors 6502

Matias Price

Why does everybody keep saying $100? It's $79 dollars folks. Plus meager shipping comes out to $82 (no tax where I'm at)

The Apple BT is $69 + tax (they charge everywhere) which comes out to $76.
    $82-$76 = $6. That's hardly overspending and the best $6 one can "overspend."

20. vga4life macrumors 6502

Once upon a time you could. Of course, back then people made fun of Apple for *not* including keyboards, complained about being ripped off by having to pay extra for a keyboard, etc.

Those of us who remember the massive Apple Extended Keyboard know that Apple keyboards used to be worth the money, too. (Fun fact: "Saratoga" was an internal Apple code name for the Extended Keyboard - named after the aircraft carrier, which made sense if you've ever seen one. They're giant!)

-vga4life

21. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

This Matias Tactile Pro keyboard is awesome. A good keyboard is so important because you use it so much. It's the main thing you use on the computer so what's $79!! They say in the reviews that this keyboard is like the old Apple Extended keyboard that was so popular years ago. It's also built very solid.

I agree about the white.... Why is Apple making white keyboards?? They get so dirty so fast. Why not black ones. They would go well with the aluminum or even a dark gray keyboard. I think Apple should go back to their old keyboards. The ones that come with the G5 are not as high quality as the one I had with my PowerMac G3.

22. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

I just noticed today that the keyboard that came with my G5 doesn't even have 2 legs under it to make the keyboard tilt up a little. The old ones had this. It just lays flat. The Tactile pro keyboard has 2 legs like the old Apple keyboard.

23. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I've used one. It has all high-quality metal switches (not plastic like Apple's), which means it feels great and will never break. Unfortunately, it is also VERY LOUD.

24. FunkyPurple macrumors newbie

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My (unbranded) Dell keyboard is great. It has a great "click" when you hit keys that lets you know firmly that you HAVE hit the key. And I paid $3 for it.