Awesome deal on PC2700 memory.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SeaFox, Aug 12, 2004.

1. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Not sure which Macs use PC2700 memory, I was buying for my Dell.

I've been waiting for prices on 512MB sticks to come down after they skyrocketed from the graphics card dulge. Today I checked and prices were getting back down to what they were five months ago, then I plugged in a 1GB search to see how much higher they were and found this deal (check out the price at etronics).

It's only twenty bucks more than the best price for a single 512MB stick of the same memory (brand and chip, model numbers match).

Just placed my order.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

3. kant macrumors 6502

Thanks, Xiexie, Danke, Gracias, etc, etc, ad nauseum

You're not kidding that's a great deal. Has to be a screwup on their part. But I'll be finding out :) Just ordered a batch of it. I love Kingston memory anyway - they honor that lifetime warranty regardless of the vendor you purchased it from. I just recently tossed a 512mb stick of Micron that has a useless "lifetime" warranty; useless because the vendor went belly up and Micron says you can't return it directly to them.

4. kant macrumors 6502

After a few minutes reflection I ordered 2gb more. etronics is a reputable vendor and, should my friends not wish to take advantage of the deal I got them, ebay is a wonderful site. :)

5. kant macrumors 6502

Back to normal price

It's back to $183 on the etronic site. They've charged my credit card already. Think I'll get the deal or are they going to refund my money and say "we're sorry, but we're not stupid?" :)

6. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Crucial's dropped their price (with a coupon) on this on their home page. (512MB stick). Still higher price than most, but I've heard it's quality.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Good luck! :)

8. SeaFox thread starter macrumors 68020

SeaFox

It's probably you're fault they saw their mistake. :D

They saw all the ram you ordered (how much did you get total? 4GB?) and were like, why would someone order so much ram in 512MB when there's 1GB DIMMS available?

But good luck. I haven't gotten any phone calls or emails yet.

I wonder how long this mistake was up. I mean, it was up long enough for pricegrabber to catch it on their page it must have been a little while.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

My thoughts exactly!

10. kant macrumors 6502

3gb. :)

Neither have I.

No idea. Not certain when pricegrabber updates. Midnight EST maybe?? It was still being offered for $87 at ~12:30 pm but had been changed the next time I looked. I was seriously considering ordering another couple of gigs worth. Kingston 512mb is going on ebay for $70+ and it's not every day you get a chance to make a 45%+ profit margin on something.

11. SeaFox thread starter macrumors 68020

SeaFox

!@#$%

Dear Customer,

We are sorry but we have unexpectedly run out of the item that you ordered and do not expect to have more in stock any time soon.

We have no choice then but to cancel your order immediately. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

If you wish to place another order, please feel free to visit us at www.etronics.com

If you have any other question please feel free to contact us again at service@etronics.com
    or click here http://www.etronics.com/help/ for assistance.
    Mon-Thur. From 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
    Friday From 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
    Visit us again at http://www.etronics.com

I figured they'd find a way out of it. Of corse now they have to stop selling it at all for awhile, to make it appear they really did run out.

12. wide macrumors 6502a

13. kant macrumors 6502

Yours is actually better than mine:

We are sorry, but we have unexpectedly run out of the item that you ordered. We have the item on order, but we do not have an expected date for our re-supply. The fact that we do not have a specific date only means the manufacturer or distributor does not have a date but it is definitely on the way. We should receive it as soon as any other retailer. Of course you may cancel your order but canceling and reordering later will put you at the back of the line in receiving this hard to get item.

They're apparently hoping that I'll let them keep my $270 until the price drops that low. :)

14. SeaFox thread starter macrumors 68020

SeaFox

What are you talking about? That's a lot better than I got. Your order is still open. If you just hang in there you should technically still get the RAM for the price you paid. You have already paid according to their system, and the are simply waiting for a new shipment. I'm jealous. I wonder if I point this out I could still get my order at the price.

But I don't want to screw up your order and I just bought a single 512MB chip from ZipZoomfly after I got that email. I want a RAM upgrade! So I'll settle for half what I wanted at the normal price for now. Anything is better than continuing to run WinXP in 128megs of memory.

15. Dentyne macrumors newbie