Awesome new iBook, small harddrive :(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ILoveiBooks, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ILoveiBooks macrumors member

Hey everyone!
    Yesterday I officially received my first Mac at 3:20PM...lol yes I am that obsessive about it. But anyway, it's the new 12" iBook. I realize now that I should have upgraded the harddrive but I never did. So I just wanted to ask, is it possible to upgrade my harddrive or do I have to get an external harddrive? Fortunately I won't have to upgrade for another 17 gigs or so but I tend to go through space like food.

Can anyone help?

Other then that, my iBook is great and I absolutely love it!!!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The HD is definitively possible to replace, you can do it yourself, though it involves taking almost the entire iBook apart and will void your warranty if you mess it up, or you can have an Apple service provider do it for you. They might charge you for half an hour, or maybe even a full hour, labour but, unless your absolutely sure how to replace it yourself, it's worth it.

If you replace it you can even get a 100-120GB 5400 (or even a 7200) disk in it. That should increase both storage space and performance quite a bit... :)

An external HD would be the easiest option, but then you'd always had to drag that with you. Kind of messes up the whole point of having a portable, doesn't it...? ;)