Awesome Trick for Managing windows. Must See

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveway, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I found this program while watching Rocketboom. This looks like something only Apple would do, but hasn't.
    Clink

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Looks cool and innovative, but I know that I would never use it...

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You're right, this is the one thing I wish Expose could do that it can't. Ok, picture this...

You have a file on the desktop you want to drag to an open finder window. You hit F11 for desktop, click the file, then F9 for All Windows and you hold the file over the window you want to drop it in for say 3 seconds, and Expose deactivates, bringing that window to the front so you can drop the file in.

You can do the F11 version of this now, but you have ot make sure the finder window you want to drop the file into is at the top before you hit F11. Just an idea...

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Holy crap I was wrong, Expose CAN do that! OK Apple is the best company in the world.

I think that means that this original post is pointless because Apple already does have a way to do this.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Now that I've been playing with it a minute...

It seems to me the delay in All Windows mode is approx. 1.5 seconds. I had tried this before but maybe I just didn't hold the file over the window for long enough. Also, it doesn't just work with Finder windows, it seems to work with any window. I really wish I had found this before!

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think my habit of moving the cursor around in circles while thinking would confuse this Fold n' Drop software. It would turn my desktop into Origami when I didn't mean it.

7. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I know Expose' can already do something like this. I use it everyday.

Run the java script to feel how it works. It has a cool factor of just "pealing" away windows.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Oh so you were referring more to the visual effect, I see. I agree that would be pretty cool. But I'm glad you started this post because I didn't know Expose already had that functionality!

9. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Also, if you have an XP PC you can try the real thing. Its pretty cool but also a bit awkward since you have to be dragging something for it to work.

10. Church macrumors regular

Church

I'm confused, how does expose already have this functionality? With the F9 button? Please explain, thanks!

11. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

You can get exposé to "select" a window you are hovering about by pressing space instead of waiting 1.5 seconds for it to do this.

This also works with spring loaded folders.

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can do that with exposé...:confused: