Awww crap! Fonda's Back

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black&Tan, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

According to the BBC, Jane Fonda is going to protest against another war. This time its the conflict in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4717241.stm

She's still facing ramifications from her protest of the Vietnam War, where she posed with the North Vietnamese at an anti-aircraft gun!

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah my thoughs were the same when I saw it. Then I was like, oh yeah, nobody cares what she says. We don't live in the 60's anymore. Someone should let her know.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm forced to wonder whether this is a sincere attempt to protest the war or if she's just trying to gain headlines to promote her book. This protest may actually have the opposite effect, I don't know if too many veterans currently against the war could bear to share the same "side" with her.

I have no respect for her...

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- while I support protesting the war, I don't think this is a wise move on her part.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

"Hanoi Jane" turned her back on her country during Vietnam.

Touring an active enemy military installation (posing on an AA gun that shot at OUR aircraft) during a time of war is inexcusable, and she has absolutely zero credibility with me. I think many Americans felt and still feel the same way. Regardless of her true intent, what she did borders on treason - if not in fact, certainly in spirit.

As far as I'm concerned, she can go park her eco-friendly bus in Baghdad permanently.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Jane is a product of Hollywood. She was born with a need for accolades. Just an attempt to bring out admiring fans to boost her ego. Although she will also have to accept protests.

7. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'll agree with you there Blackadder. Treason for certain!

You may not support the actions of the government, and that's fine. That's your right. But you don't give solace or comfort to the enemy. That's treason. And all it accomplishes is to make it harder on the soldiers who have to be there, doing a job they have no choice in.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I agree completely.

I am all for freedom of speech, but what she did was inexcusable and unforgivable.

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

All I know of Vietnam comes from history books and my grandfathers' respective accounts. When I feel passionately about a given topic or issue, I find it difficult to adequately articulate my opinion. The following essay, however, sums it up quite nicely. Jane Fonda

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Political Forum in 1, 2, 3 .... :)

Fonda is not the first not to face charges and prison for crimes against the nation. Look at the illegal gun sales that the President Reagan "knew" nothing about. Or the illegal war in Laos that Presidents Johnson and Nixon waged.

War crimes are just as serious as crimes of treason.

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Aww crap, I don't care. She can do what she wants, it is getting an awful lot of coverage though. I mean, for someone who has basically been invisible for nearly 3 decades. She is trying though, no matter how she is cast by the media and political adversaries.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yep, some would like us to forget the $200 billion US dollar price tag so far in Iraq War II....

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

But Jane Fonda campaigning against the war is more important than wasted lives and money! :rolleyes:

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not sure how you meant this.

My take is that she is trying by her past, to give the atrocities of the US "war" in Iraq new "legs".

The problem is that in 2005, we are now in information "overload". Local and national news broadcast outlets now see $ signs in giving everything that they can throw at us. That means what is hot today is cold tomorrow.

Nobody seemed truly bothered that families of the troops were raising funds to "armor" the Humvee's and such - when the US military wasn't doing it.

Nobody seemed bothered that the current administration continued the ban on photographers being present at Dover AFB when the remains of the troops killed were brought home.

Nobody seems to be bothered that the reasons to go into Iraq may have been based on false information given by the administration.

Nobody seems to be bothered that now that we have "privatized" many aspects of military logistics to the administrations "base" or "Rangers or Pioneers", that profit from this "war".

Nobody seems to be bothered that the teachers, police, fire fighters, or the retail workers can't afford to live in major cities any more.

Nobody seems concerned that many do without healthcare, because they have no insurance. Or if they do, they now have to deal with bankruptcy laws that favor the credit companies, if they reach the "lifetime cap" that their insurance has.

Nobody seems to be concerned that their property can be taken from them under "emanate domain", so that rich team owners can build new stadiums with contracts that benefit them, not the community.

Nobody seems concerned about the privatization of highways to the highest bidder. Only be be bailed out by the state, when their "profits" are threatened.

In the end it seems that with all the news we receive daily - that nobody is concerned.

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

When it comes to meaning, I tend to look at what the media chooses to focus on. And by this I mean cable media.

There are many, many interesting leads that the media could be picking up on. The Downing Street Memo and the exposure of Valerie Plame being just two examples.

Whenever I tune into cable news though, I am disappointed by their lack of variety in what they choose to cover. Fox is obsessed with Natalie Holloway, and CNN likes to cover the weather. The Supreme Court nominee is getting a lot of attention as well, but this seems to be a manufactured problem.

The people and topics that the MSM chooses to give attention to are disappointing when it comes to other matters like the war, the national debt and the leaking of CIA agents who are working in the interests of national security.

It was a sarcastic remark. Mostly because Jane Fonda has not mattered for a long time, and is not any more worthy of many other activists who have been working on this issue for a lot longer than she has been.

Coverage of Jane Fonda seems to be more of a distraction than anything else. Shouldn't the media be at least slightly interested in the reasons behind why she is undertaking this tour, not just the fact that she is taking a tour.

I think the real news lays in her reasons for doing what she is doing, not the fact that she is doing it. And who cares what kind of fuel her bus uses, that is secondary (by a wide margin) to the real issues she is trying to bring attention to.

I really should be supporting her, because the issues she is trying to bring attention to are important to me. But then, I have little faith in the MSM, and she is too easy a target for them to present to pundits they allow airtime to, pundits who choose to and are allowed to focus on her and not on the issues she is trying to draw attention to.

Ultimately, I feel it is not her fault for trying, but I am disappointed by the fact that the media will make a spectacle of her, while ignoring the real issues.

Though in the end it may not make that much of a difference, because the media has ignored these issues the entire time anyway.

More succinctly, less focus on Fonda, more focus on the issues she is bringing up. When I say I don't care about Fonda, it's nothing personal, I just want to see the issues get more attention than the person who is trying to bring them to the attention of the public. Pessimistically, I see the MSM using this as an opportunity to focus on Fonda and outspoken celebrities while virtually ignoring the important issues.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As a former journalism student I am dismayed that the Who, What, When, and How questions seem to have fallen by the wayside on so many issues.

Like in my area, we just got the news today that the Dulles Toll Road is sought after by private interests. Never mind that the tolls were to have already paid off the road by now. And the talk of the private money paying for just 1/5 of the cost to bring our MetroRail to the total length of the Toll Road. The initial proposal only pays for the State portion of 2 or 3 miles of the subway. Forget about the rest of the 12+ miles to the airport.

You have a strong point. After 30 years, her "Hanoi Jane" past is being used to discredit her. Whether he actions were right or wrong at the time is open to much debate. Just as Truman using the A-Bomb on Japan. Or my many references of "crimes" by various Presidents, all in the name of Peace in my previous post.

Never mind that Clinton tried to do many positives things for the nation as a whole. He will forever be tainted by his weak moment of the flesh. While others will be forgiven for their motives or profit and power.

We now live in a nation that that we only react to the 5 to 15 second soundbite on the evening news. For we are now forced to focus on whether our pensions will be safe. Or will our homes continue to gain 20% per a year or better.

Based on the DC area, no longer can the "rank and file" - the teachers, the "front line protectors" , the retail workers - afford to live a "meaningful" life.

Let's look at gas costs. In the DC area it is not hard for the average driver to do 18K at a year. That is $125 a month at 30 mpg. That is 3.7% BEFORE taxes of the monthly income for a single person earning $40K a year. Add to that the roughly 10% of the pre-tax income being spent on rent. And that most singles at the $40K level will end up with almost a third of their income spent on taxes, there is little cushion.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well said :D

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's not actually treason what she did years ago. Though I disagree with what she did, she seemed to mean well. I would argue the same thing about someone like Mel Gibson, who I also disagree with. Just because she's a celebrity, it doesn't mean she doesn't have the right to speak her mind any more than any other American citizen. I'd say she even has a responsiblity to speak out since she feels so strongly and is in the publics eye, so people will actually listen to her. Though I do also question her motives as I would anyone else, I wonder if those who attack her also do the same with political pundits like those on Fox news, etc. (remember when Rush got caught and called himself an entertainer?), Conservative celebrities, the Govenator, any Politician... But I guess only the Liberal ones should keep their mouths shut. ;) Funny how that works.

On the other hand, Jane... thanks, but you're not really helping.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Only in a celebrity-obsessed culture such as ours would anyone care about what a has-been movie actress says or does. Even the people who profess to hate Fonda and everything she supposedly stands for, can't seem to avert their eyes. They are compelled to comment as though it somehow really matters. This says far more about them then it does about Jane Fonda.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, are the people complaining about this the same ones who keep their mouths shut about people like Oliver North and G Gordon Liddy having access to a microphone?

Puhleeze.

Of course Fonda must be desperate for some kind of attention. Ultimately she hurts the cause because she'll be the next Micheal Moore. Anyone who's a liberal automatically will be assumed to think like her. Her image will be used in commercials against Democratic candidates.

And of course I'm sure she knows this, but she'll do he tour anyway.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Vietnam was a clusterF... that killed thousands and thousands of our young for our pathetic leaders stupidity, Now we have Iraq with thousands killed or mamed for life and a president who took us there under spin. If Fonda wants to preach "stop the stupidity" let her or better yet let the idiots that start these kinds of messes fight their own war instead of our young. Im amazed at all the ignorance of those who are all for war as long as their not the ones fighting it. I dont really care for Jane but she is right. Enough of stupid wars at the costs of our young and billions in taxes. Does anyone remember this Iraq war was sold to us with lots of spin? I do.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

All I can say is "welcome back, Jane." It's about time.

Ok, that's not all I can say. During the war in Vietnam, Jane Fonda used her celebrity to help expose the secrets of a dirty war that not only killed scores of thousands of Americans, but also millions of Vietnamese. Fonda sometimes chose the wrong methods, such as sitting on that AA gun in the North, to show what the US bombing was doing to the people of Vietnam, but all in all her concerns were right. She was an activist, who while not perfect, had her heart in the right place. Now, after years of watching her do the "tomahawk chop" with ex-husband Ted Turner, she is adding her voice to something that matters. I can't fault her for that.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Problem here in America we have folks who under patriotism would follow our Govt to hell, all the leaders do is wave a flag and use stupid phrases like your with us or against us. Hitler did this kind of crap and so did Mussolini. Vietnam was wrong yet we still have fools trying to defend that crap of a war. With people like that its amazing we arent still fighting in Vietnam. What did it get us? What did it cost? How many were murdered on both sides? same is happening in Iraq only wmds got spun into liberation got spun into terrorist hunting by Rove and Bush. All B.S and lies. Go Jane this is the kind of press the Neocons fear. The truth.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, crap, you've figured it out. Conservatives are in fact terrified of Jane Fonda.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think that's what he said...