Axio/Booq/Zeroshock/Crumpler sleeve question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hassouni, Feb 29, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Feb 10, 2008
    As I await my new 15.4 MBP, I'm boggled by the vast options in bags and cases. I'm going to be moving around and traveling a lot with the comp (including air travel), so I need a very sturdy solution. I'm also going to be using it in school, so I want a solution that a) looks good, and b) will work with books/notebooks/etc.

I'm leaning heavily towards a messenger bag + rigid sleeve combination, with the main sleeve contenders being the Axio Hardsleeve, Shinza Zeroshock, Booq Vyper, and Crumpler School Hymn. Are any of these sturdy enough to use in a very flimsy messenger bag, or to stand up to a loaded backpack? (I use both currently) I was considering getting the Crumpler Dreadful Embarrassment, along with one of the sleeves (I know the bag already has a sleeve but I'm paranoid), but is the extra protection of a sleeve + padded bag necessary?

My dead PB used to be carried around in the flimsy incase sleeve, which I stuck into my backpack/unpadded messenger bag, and it received all manner of dings and dents and knocks: I don't want that happening again.
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm in the same boat as you. I got a laptop backpack that I love, but the laptop compartment is not rigid and I'm concerned about the weight of the books I carry damaging the laptop over time. Not really sure what the best solution is, but I'm leaning towards this rigid sleeve idea. Tom Bihn has a vertical brain cell design that looks perfect for what I want, just need to find out if it's going to fit my bag..
  3. macrumors newbie

Feb 29, 2008

I am a huge promoter of Booq cases. I had a Booq Powersleeve for my 12" PowerBook G4, and I recently got a Boa Slimcase M

for my new MacBook Pro 15" and I LOVE it. High quality construction, and room for power brick, portable HDD, etc without being bulky.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 10, 2008
    The Tom Bihn looks great, except they allegedly only work vertically or horizontally...I need both...
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 10, 2008
    The Booq sleeves don't really seem that rigid: will they take loaded backpack abuse?