Ayn Rand and Libertarianism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Guest

eric/

Just because I'm tired of seeing Ayn Rand grouped in with libertarians:

link

2. macrumors 65816

That doesn't mean the right and libertarians haven't glommed on to her.

This is not about what groups she felt affiliated with, it's about what groups find affiliation with her.

3. thread starter Guest

eric/

The "libertarians" you refer to aren't libertarians.

4. macrumors 6502

CalWizrd

Why don't you guys start a separate "Libertarian/Ayn Rand" thread, rather than throwing this one into a different direction?

I'm enjoying the outrageous statements coming from iMikeT.

5. thread starter Guest

eric/

Sorry if it was off topic. I was just commenting on the misconception posted that Ayn Rand was a libertarian or endorsed libertarianism.

6. macrumors 65816

No true Scotsman fallacy.

7. thread starter Guest

eric/

I'm going to report my post to make sure this isn't too off topic before we proceed. If so, I'll ask if it can be separated into it's own thread. :D

8. thread starter Guest

eric/

I don't think so. There are of course varying definitions of libertarianism, but at the basic level libertarianism is a political philosophy that is based around minimizing coercion, and enhancing liberty and mutually agreeable interactions.

Really, it's very, very similar to anarchy, the terms could be used interchangeably for the most part.

So you could probably say in general that all political philosophies aim to achieve what I mentioned above. But the key difference between libertarianism and conservatism is that libertarianism considers the government a source of coercion, and thus must be minimized for that reason.

As mentioned in my link, Ayn Rand considered libertarianism in the same sense that I do, one that's ultimate goal is to minimize coercion, and remove the government, similar to anarchism.

There are other differences between libertarians and conservatives, such as conservatives banning gay marriage and stuff like that. That obviously doesn't enhance liberty.

9. AhmedFaisal, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

<snip>

10. macrumors 68000

Sydde

"Ayn Rand" was a fake name, her given name was Алиса Розенбаум.

11. macrumors 68020

You're welcome.

----------

Just like Ronald Reagan is the modern-day Republican god, Ayn Rand is pretty much the modern-day Libertarian god.

12. macrumors 601

Technarchy

That would be Ron Paul.

13. macrumors 68020

Exactly. She was nuts, to say the least.

----------

Yeah him too. In fact, he worships her and named his son after her. How about two gods in modern-day libertarianism?

14. thread starter Guest

eric/

Well that's funny then, because she wasn't a libertarian

15. macrumors G4

skunk

Nor, according to many, would Ronald Reagan nowadays be considered a conservative.

16. thread starter Guest

eric/

I guess? Idk. He certainly wasn't a libertarian. I don't think he was a communist or liberal. That doesn't leave a whole lot else does it?

17. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not a chance in hell. Let's see…

Reagan raised taxes 11 times.
    Increased debt ceiling 17 times.
    Started us on our path to debt and deficits.
    Cut and run after Beirut attack.
    Gave amnesty to undocumented immigrants.
    Said "One of the most elemental human rights [is] the right to belong to a free trade union." and "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost. "

Let's not forget his record as Governor of California where he signed the Therapeutic Abortion Act of 1967, and signed legislation guaranteeing California public employees the right to bargain collectively.

Lets also not forget he was a Hollywood actor, head of the Screen Actors Guild (A UNION!) and supported the 1994 assault weapons ban post-Presidency.

Other than that, I think they'd embrace him.

18. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

@eric/

It appears I was wrong and you do know the difference between libertarianism/anarchism and "Libertarianism",for that I apologise.

That even the sentimental romantic novelist Rand realised this shows just how stupid the present day "Libertarians" are.
    As a president from the past might have said "the trouble with the French is they don't have a word for libertarianism" (what he is supposed to have said [although it's disputed ] "the trouble with the French is they have no word for entrepreneur" the point being entrepreneur is a French word as indeed is libertarian,Snopes poo poo's this but Shirley Williams says she heard him say it so I'm going with Williams).
    The word evolved in the nineteenth century at a time anarchists were under heavy attack from the state and began calling themselves libertaires to confuse their attackers.

Reagan by the way was a prick of the highest order the results of his and Thatchers attack on the living standards of ordinary people are still being felt allover the world.I was in NY when he died and can not believe the outpouring of grief for such a bastard.

19. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Man, I'm having such a hard time finding a True Scotsman today...can you help me?

20. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This is not a case of "true Scotsman" this is a case of a small group using a term which for well over one hundred years has referred to a political philosophy which is 180 degrees from their philosophy and trying to claim it as their own.
    A similar attempt to use "true Scotsman" could be aimed at democracy because the "Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea" and the "Deutsche Demokratische Republik" call themselves Democracies does that in fact make them Democracies?

(not that anyone will pin down a definition of Democracy it's to easy to say we are democratic they are not so the term has been used by some of the most vile authoritarians on the planet).

21. thread starter Guest

eric/

Thanks.

22. macrumors G3

Huntn

I read Atlas Shrugged so many years ago, I can't remember what it's about... sad. Was it pushing what conservatives today would latch onto as conservative values? Or was it just some character doing "the right things"? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged:
    This just not ring a bell... hmm, maybe I read Fountain Head instead. ;)

23. thread starter Guest

eric/

I read both as well. I liked them. I interpreted them the same way your quote did. Minds need to be free.

24. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I haven't read Fountain Head, but I really liked Atlas Shrugged, though I think there was a lot of boring dialog, Rand could have make the book half the size and removed some of the boring parts. Is The Fountainhead worth the read?

25. thread starter Guest

eric/

I liked it better myself.