Aztlan, Revisited

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Aztlan, Revisited

'Rat, don't know anything about this group, but it seems not anti-Zionist, but rather anti-semitic. The little I could stomach to read was pretty bad. I assume you know that this is not the view of very many of the folks who use the rhetoric of "Aztlan."

3. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, mac, it seems to me that those nice folks using the term should wake up and find out just what they're talking about. This website has been up and running for several years, now, and has always been explicit about the goals. The prime mover is a university professor in Albuquerque.

I have no clue as to their numbers, but the core group is well organized. They're holding political rallies in southern California, Arizona and New Mexico...

'Rat

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

'Rat,

the term "Aztlan" is used by many to mean the need for unity of people on both sides of the border against what they see as incredible exploitation by US companies with the colusion of the US government. There are some who actually believe that the border will change. This the first I've heard of anyone bringing anti-semitism into the equation. It does no good to lump everyone who uses the word "Aztlan" into a single group.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Huh? Was that directed at me for some reason? I haven't even piped up in this debate yet and already you are debating me?:p

And if you recall, I was one of those who was very concerned with the prior involvement with MeCHA of one Cruz Bustamante. My experiences with those associated with Aztlan and MeCHA have not led me to be very pleased with either their politics or their goals.

Now if you would like to respond to an actual post of mine, go for it!

6. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies, mac. Mea culpa. 'Twas Sayhey to whom I should have addressed the comment, although the comment itself holds...

Were the goals of those uniting under the banner of "Aztlan" primarily involved with improving the lot of those in the various maquiladora companies, I'd be sympathetic. The problem seems to be that those who are most active have the larger goal of a political takeover of New Mexico and Arizona, and more political control in southern California and possibly (probably?) south and western Texas. That's what they say they want to do, anyway. They're certainly not subtle...

'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know, I know, all us ivory-tower liberals sound alike after a while...;)

Well here's another way of looking at it. As a result of what we did to Mexico historically, it is somewhat of a miracle that we aren't facing a gurrilla insurgency somewhat akin to the Palestinian/Isreali affair out here in the west. The fact that it is a very small minority movement that wants to reclaim Aztlan should be a relief to us.

Not that I like people running around saying one race is better or more deserving than another, but we do need to put this in context here.

Imagine if it was suicide bombers instead of migrant farmers crossing the border...