Azureus 2.1 Problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, May 31, 2004.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Azureus 2.1.0.0 was released last night, and I went out and installed it. Some nice interface updates, but in the first couple of hours of using it I had two almost complete system freezes--cursor would move and the clock would update maybe once every three minutes, and my modem's activity lights say Azureus was still doing it's thing in the background, but absolutely no other control over the system was possible.

I suppose it could've been a coincidence, but I doubt it, and haven't fired it up to try it again. Anybody else had similar experiences? (Console showed several malloc errors during that time, but that was the only out of the ordinary thing in the logs.)

I suppose I'll try upgrading to 10.3.4 first, but if that doesn't do it, I guess it's back to 2.0.8.0 for me. Rather unnerving that a faulty Java app could bring down the whole UI, though--OS guys, where is that protection when you need it?

2. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Ok, there's definitely something wrong here; I upgraded to 10.3.4 (with the combo updater), reinstalled Java 1.4.2 (from the download), double checked permissions and the directory structure on the disk, cleaned caches, removed everything related to Azureus and started with a fresh 2.1.0.0 download, and I still get either a complete UI freeze or a kernel panic within minutes of opening Azureus.

Either my Java install is toast, or the new version of Azureus is doing something that exposes a rather severe bug in Apple's Java (since it's a Java app, it shouldn't be able to crash the system on its own unless Apple's done something wrong).

Has anybody else tried it, and if so, does it work for you?

Suppose I have no choice but to hope 2.0.8.0 still works.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, I installed Azureus 2.1 some days ago, but didn’t use it yet. I think I’ll have to try it out when I get home. I had a similar experience with another Java P2P client, that always gave me kernel panics when I used it, so I decided to trash it. But it seems that these Java apps are very capable of doing such things.

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

whenever i upgrade to a new version of azureus,it just doesn't run. The icon jumps but nothing happens. It has happened on 2 earlier occasions when I upgraded. And then i have to trash all the traces of azureus, and do a clean new install. so i haven't upgraded this time.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Been using Azureus 2.1 with no problems. The only problems I have ever had with Azureus is quiting the application after seeding for like 3 days, it seems to not want to quit, and freezes my computer. 2.1 has not been causing any of the problems for me that you describe.

6. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Currently running 2.0.8.4 without incident. I also tried re-applying the Panther Java Update (1.4.1), which didn't help at all. It might be my system's fault, but it certainly seems like there's something goofy going on in Apple's Java implimentation if it's that easy for an app to take the system down.

Even 2.0.8.4 seems to cause a kernel panic maybe every 3 or 4 days if I don't shut my computer down after using it, but that I can live with. 3-4 minutes to a crash, that's just scary--this is the first thing outside a bad networking driver that I've ever had repeatably bring down OSX. Bummer.

7. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Hey all

New switcher here...
    Just downloaded Azureus - but can't get it working?

Opened in Safari - my usual site...
    clicked on the file I wanted...
    which in turn when it refreshed to say - Download is about to commence - or whatever (in Safari)... then I get a blacnk window that merely has

Error: Null

anyone got any ideas?

Oh I'm on a new 17" Powerbook

8. ionas macrumors regular

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

went back to Bit Torrent...
    and played with my system settings - and VOILA
    up and running again.

phew!

10. diddy macrumors 6502

i had the same problems on my dual g5. i went to the azureus.sourceforege site and downloded version 2.0.8.4. like Makosuke said he was running.

no more kernel panics!! none at all! some of the new features arnt there, but who cares. its still better than the regular bittorrent client.

does this fix anyone elses problem?

11. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

It's worth noting that apparently turning the "slowly connect new peers" option on helps some, though 2.0.8.4 is still better than later versions.

The Azureus guys have an experimental work around for this bug, but it's very involved, and of questionable usefulness--it involves turning your computer into a DNS server, which apparently helps. I don't know that this is a good idea in the grand scheme of things (though I don't clearly understand the process, it appears to subvert the whole DNS system by going directly to the root servers), and I haven't bothered trying it, but if somebody is feeling adventurous, here's the link:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/TrialSolutionForKernelPanics

...and here's a thread with discussion about the results:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1100104&forum_id=349817

Some saying it helps, others that it doesn't. I'm just hoping for an Apple fix, although there are claims that Azureus 2.1+ doesn't play very friendly with its network requests, going unnecessarily hard with rapid requests, which is why the panics show up more often with it than with 2.0.8.4.

So far as I know, as long as .torrent files are associated with your BT client, whatever it is, you just have to click once in Safari (or any other browser) and the Torrent should download. One double-click, and it's running.

If you're getting Null errors (and you're sure the Torrents aren't actually downloading--Safari does sometimes open a blank window, but does start the download), then perhaps the site you're downloading torrents from is using some sort of Javascript to initiate the downloads, and there's something wrong with the script that Safari doesn't like. Try Camino (if you're on 10.3.4), or Firefox, and see if that helps. Judging by the volume of sloppy IE-only Javascript out there, it seems like a real possibility.

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

ah thanks for the tips / info!
    The way around it I found - was to click on the...
    If the download doesn't start click here (manual option) and that has been downloading the torrents fine.

13. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

I'm resurrecting this long-dead thread to ask if anybody has tried the latest version of Azureus (2.1.0.4) with yesterday's 10.3.5 and Java updates. Perhaps there's a fix in them?

I'll report back when I feel brave enough to upgrade everything and let it run.