azureus hd space allocation mystery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saccamano, Aug 19, 2006.

1. saccamano macrumors newbie

hi all, not sure whether anyone here can help me with this, but i a search came up w/ a thread that dealt with similar issues so i thought i'd try. my hd is allegedly close to full even though i don't even have close to enough stuff in there to justify this. my guess is that azureus allocated the space at some point. i believe this was when i was in the process of reseeding some of files i had as i saw folks needed them. azureus did something funny and the files moved into the upper portion of the screen, as files being downloaded. i was in a rush to get somewhere and just quit the program. upon returning not only is my hd full, but searches for the documents come up nil. i was seeding them from my external drive (they're still there), but they're nowhere to be found on my laptop hd. here's the best clue as to what's going on: since using azureus for new torrents, when i've browsed under the "location to save data" a folder appears under my regular hd and external hd images. when i click on it there's numerous folders inside with all the original movies i was seeding, funny enough there's about 10 gigs worth of them there which is about how much more space the hd ought to have. problem is the files don't come up on a search of the hd. i'm at the limits of my knowledge here!

2. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

If you can find the files on your hd, wherever you may find them, then what's stopping you from trashing them? Not sure I understood you right but as a last resort just trash Azureus. That should probably delete anything that came with it. Possibly.

3. saccamano thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply. the files are only visible when i'm in azureus. when i'm deciding which folder to save my downloads in, the mystery folders are visible. unfortunately when i go to the finder they're not visible so i can't trash them. i did try to trash azureus though, which i hadn't thought of. sadly no difference in the hd size upon restart... also, now i can't see the mystery folders through azureus anymore. im convinced that somehow it's allocated the space for those files even if they're not necessarily there. just not sure how to de-allocate...

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Been there too. Azureus gets angry when you start a torrent and don't have the drive with its default save location mounted. Consequently, it creates a folder for itself using the name of your external drive, and puts lots of data there where you can't get at it.

Fortunately, you can delete all that junk, but, not being a 'nix-head, I don't know of any elegant ways to do this. However, I do know an ugly way to do it.

Disconnect your external drive and start up Terminal.
    Type "cd /volumes" (no quotes, of course).
    Then type "ls" you'll get a list of drives mounted, which, surprisingly, will contain the name of your external drive (I'll assume it's called A). Basically you want to delete this, but you can't delete a folder unless it has no contents, so you now have to go through and manually remove the contents of this folder, the contents of that folder's folders, and so on.
    You'll have to type "cd x", where x is the name of a folder within A, then type "rm *.*" BE CAREFUL—make sure you're in the right folder when you're doing this, since this command will delete all the (non-folder) files in a given folder. Then, when one of these folders (say, B) is empty, type "cd .." to move up one folder level, and type "rmdir B" (which deletes empty folders). Have fun! :eek:

5. saccamano thread starter macrumors newbie

this is great - i was starting to doubt my sanity here. only problem is i've never used terminal before. when the name of the volume appears (got to that point!) what exactly do i do? how do i select it and see what folders are inside?

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

When that volume appears in the list (again, make sure your actual external isn't connected so you don't delete the wrong files), type "cd name of your drive", where "cd" is for "change directory". Note that, if your drive has a name with spaces (for example "External HD"), you'll have to include that in quotes so Terminal recognizes it as all one string (rather than complaining that there's no directory "External"), so you'd type

cd "External HD"

Then, once you're in, type "ls" again (which just lists the contents of a directory).

This will probably show some folders, which you'll have to empty as well before you can delete the external drive folder. Basically you have to
    1. Go into a directory in the directory you don't want. (cd "whatever it's called")
    2. Type "rm *.*" to delete the (non-folder) contents of the folder you're in.
    3. Type "cd ..", which moves you up one level in the directory structure.
    4. Type "rmdir X", where X is the name of the folder you just emptied to remove that folder.

Once you do this for all the contents of the folder "External HD" (or whatever), you can use rmdir "External HD" to delete that folder, then you're done!

7. saccamano thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for the patient reply - i did as you said (holy 45 minutes...) and the phantom volume is gone:p i know have my 13 free gigs back!

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

No problem. It took me forever to figure this out, but it was nice to find all that lost space!

Just remember not to start up in-progress torrents in Azureus unless you've got your external connected. (It's OK to start up new torrents when you're not connected, just make sure you manually change the download location to your internal drive when you do this).

Of course, now you know how to fix it either way!