Azureus is the best bt application for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SLJ, Feb 21, 2005.

1. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

is "Azureus" the best bit-torrent application for OSX? if not, please recommend a better bittorrent client. thank you

:p

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I prefer Tomatotorrent––simple, easy to use, and the most mac-like.

3. unispherephoto macrumors member

unispherephoto

4. rccola70 macrumors regular

Ya, In my opinion, I think Azureus is probably the best right now. Tomato was good in that it was nice and simple but it was really limited in options. (Example: can't change port number)

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Some will say that Azeurus is faster at downloads, but I find the original BT client faster for the mac.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I like Tomato Torrent the best. It doesn't try to be bloated. You just double click a torrent and it works.
    -Kevin

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Azureus is my favorite for Windows, so I guess its great for Macs also!

8. DaiKirai macrumors member

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

a agree with tomato torrent. it is the most mac like as said above. its just simple to use.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. yinyang macrumors regular

bits on wheels is easy to use and setup, but i haven't had any issues with the latest release - you on v1.0PR1.2?

12. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Azuresu !

I use Azureus on both Mac and PC - the best one i know of. Also easy to limit upload speeds, or just get the one file that interests you.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Azureus is relatively ugly (though MUCH better in the last release or two) and rather complicated, but it's also immensely powerful and handles torrents in just about any language or character set without issue (I occasionally use it for Japanese videos, hence the personal concern).

I tried the standard client and Tomato, but although they're very easy to use they choke badly on some torrents (particularly those with oddball characters in filenames) and they have little customizablility (ports, caps, seeding rules, sorting systems for multiple simultaneous downloads, etc).

This new Bits on Wheels looks like a more Mac-savvy Azureus, so I'm intrigued, but I'm comfortable and happy enough with Azureus (which also has the advantage of being open source) at this point that I'll give it some time to mature before I give it a shot.

Question on BoW: The features and interface look almost exactly like a Mac-ized version of Azureus, so I wonder if it doesn't use the same core codebase. In fact, there was a beta version of Az recently that had a visual representation of the swarm that looked almost exactly like their graphic, making the connection even stronger.

Of course, if it does share the same codebase or some of it, that's probably a good thing, since Az seems to be a pretty solid chunk of software hindered only by the fact that it's Java-based.

14. SteveZissou macrumors newbie

SteveZissou

I really find that Tomato is the most robust and easiest to use, I've had nothing but trouble with Azeurus.
    But not to be contradictory of the above posts, BUT you can change the port setting in Tomato, when you are starting a torrent before you actually hit start just click on the configuration and change the ports, number of Peers, max UL speed etc. It really has all the features that one would need.

15. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I like the original. I've used tomato and azureus too but I don't like them (even though they're supposedly technically superior)

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I also like the original best. To be honest I haven't tried Tomatotorrent, but I have Azureus, and don't like it at all. It's way too complex and un-Mac-like for me.

17. unispherephoto macrumors member

unispherephoto

18. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I changed from Azureus to Tomato because Azureus was crashing too often in my machine. I like tomato, though - small window, simple interface, not more than what I need.

19. boneca macrumors 6502

Azureus is great on Mac I never used any othet Bit Java clients so I can't compare but this one gives you lotts of options such as porting and most important speed management.

20. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Same here! :)

Tomato Torrent is pretty good, but I dont like how it opens a new window for every torrent. A big mess for 10+ torrents...
    Azureus is just butt ugly!