Azureus on iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xJus10x, Apr 19, 2006.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

I can't get Azureus to boot up on my new iMac Core Duo... any suggestions?

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Try reinstalling it.

Has anyone used Azureus on there Intel iMac?

Bits on Wheels is a good alternative if you can't get that one working... :)

3. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

5. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Bits on Wheels is a great torrent downloader...I wish there was mac version of utorrent :(

6. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

what's so great about utorrent? i find bits on wheels to be far superior than utorrent (slow xfer speeds) and azureus (prefer this no the windows)

7. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

I can answer your question...Explain how utorrent is 10 times better than Azureues, etc.. But nothing compares to trying and seeing w/ your own eyes.. go download a copy of utorrent on windows pc and post back.

8. aznspyder macrumors member

Does Bits of Wheels have trackerless support? If it does, then I'm in. Otherwise, I'm stuck with Azureus until they finally port uTorrent to the Mac (which would be awesome).

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes. There's a special version for Intel systems.

10. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

Bits on Wheels is also half a year old, there is no universal binary, the developer seems to be missing, and to top it off it's banned on a few private trackers for misreporting stats (including ones that i like a lot).

Azureus is the only full-featured universal torrent app right now, as Transmission and others are unibins as well but aren't as full featured (it's like, repackaged mainline...lame)

And, having spent enough time on #utorrent and talking to firon, and expressing moderate interest in working on the mac port of utorrent (which is really basically on hold right now), a utorrent port to OS X would have to sacrifice cocoa goodness in favor of keeping the utorrent windows ideals of having a small tiny app with a lot of features...so much so that it might just be commandline or just, not that pretty.

utorrent also doesn't have slow transfer speeds, i dont know what kind of crack you're on. i've maxed out DSL/cable/LAN connections with utorrent.

with a core duo and a moderate amount of ram, i would imagine azureus is manageable.