Azureus slowing down the actual laptop?!!? (not the network)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TBR, Aug 28, 2006.

1. TBR macrumors 6502

Right, this is weird and I'm still not convinced that it's not a coincidence but here goes.

I have my iMacG4 and a 800Mhtz Celeron laptop that the rest of the house uses.

Now when I have Azureus running it seems to slow down the laptop downstairs, now it's not because azureus is hogging the bandwidth as it's the 'Actual Computer" that slows down, taking forever to log in, open software etc.

- edit for clarity-
    This is when I have Azureus Running on my Mac and it seems to be slowing down the PC laptop, the laptop isn't running Azureus.
    -

I've been using azureus for a few years and we always seem to have had this problem and I've always said that it CANNOT be my computer slowing it down, but the coincidences are just uncanny.

For example tonight the computer wouldn't work downstairs at all and then when I turned off azureus the laptop came to life again!

Weird?!?!!?

So people any ideas?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Could it be that some network dependent process on your laptop is being choked by Azureus? Like Windows sometimes will appear to hang because one irritating app is trying to do something on the net and not playing nice with system resources.... So if Azureus chokes that one app....

3. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds pretty plausable, except for the fact that I have azureus limited to using under half my bandwidth, I have a 4meg connection and Azureus isn't aloud (during the day) to use more than 200k down and 15k up.

Today it was using less that 40k of the 400-odd-k of bandwidth and it 'seemed' to be affecting the laptop.

So would your idea still hold if azureus isn't using up much bandwidth? or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I wouldn't be surprised...

Azureus can suck the life out of everything....evidentaly including computers on the network...crazy.

I hate Az, but I use it.....:(

5. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I've switched from Azureus to uTorrent after getting tired of the bloat. The change has been pretty seamless to say the least.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've never heard of uTorrent - does it contain the same powerful and rich feature set that Azureus has?

7. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

I've wanted to give it a try but being windows only software I can't.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Number of Connections?

Regardless of the bw you are using, do you have a lot of bt connections? I know I had to change the max connections allowed on my router because of bt connections. I have seen well over 200 simultaneous connections. It may be that Azureus on a Windows PC is overloading the TCP/IP stack with too many connections.

I've noticed that I can have several torrents going that only have a seed or 2 and a peer connected and everything runs smoothly. However, if I have a few going that have half a dozen seeds and 20 peers *each*, things seem to get bogged down. Just an observation.

Also, you might want to check that you are running the latest Java runtime. Azureus doesn't run as well on older Java versions.

9. zach macrumors 65816

zach

if anything, better. and it's less than a megabyte.. it's the single best torrent client in existence, bar none.

shame it's PC only...

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Also, have you updated to the newest version?

I just did and it solved a lot of my issues...

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, I see, that's the "fine print". ;) Yeah, not an option for me then. It has to be Mac or nothing for me. :cool:

But, when I eventually get an Intel Mac and can run Boot Camp/Parallels, I just may give it a shot. :)

12. TBR thread starter macrumors 6502

This is all happening when I have Azureus Running on my Mac and it seems to be slowing down the laptop, the laptop isn't running Azureus.

13. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sorry, missed that bit. Since bt isn't running on the laptop, then I'd look to your router, assuming you have one. I know you said it's the laptop, not the network, but if the router is clogged up you'll certainly see what appears to be a slow down on the laptop whenever it accesses the network. Most commodity routers crap out at 64 connections, some even less. YMMV.