B&W for $25

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mernak, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Mernak macrumors 6502

I found a B&W tower on craigslist for $25 dollars. I am thinking of using it as a server or something. This is the description...

"This is a Blue & White 300 Mhz G3 PowerMac. Works fine EXCEPT I think it needs a video card. The Mac has 128Mb RAM, internal 6 Gb disk, internal CD-ROM drive, internal zip drive, No modem. Excellent physical condition."

I am thinking i should buy it but wanted to have a second opinion. Also would it still work without the video card or is the person mistaken?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

For $25, I would buy it. You can just sell the parts if it ends up being a total POS. If it needs a video card, it would boot up, you just couldn't see anything on the monitor...you should be able to get a replacement Rage 128 pro for very cheap.

3. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

The seller says he thinks it needs a video card, I would email he and ask him why he thinks that. It could be another problem not related to the video card you never know.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have fun with it, but be realistic also... for instance, what do you want to serve? HD's? Does it have a controller that can handle any reasonable amount of capacity?

5. Mernak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all. Just e-mailed the seller with some questions.

6. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

thats a steal! even if the vcard is 50$, you will still have a pretty good server for 75 bucks. and, if you really wanted some power, im pretty sure there are some upgrade cards for cheap (does the sawtooth have a zif slot? im not sure...)

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

It's a good price. The b/w is a good deal up to about $100 currently IMO, and a decent one up to $150, if only for the modding/upgrading potential.