B&W G3 450Mhz PowerMac, a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chanoc, Feb 2, 2005.

1. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Well, looking at a cheap B&W G3 450 Mhz (1MB L2 Cache) Power Mac on eBay and want to know user experiences with these machines. Does the 1MB of L2 Cache make it faster than a iBook G3 500MHz? I notice the drives are SCSI, are these the Ultra 160s? Everything looks okay, but not sure if this older Mac would rip CDs/DVDs very fast. This machine seems fine for Web forum posting, email, iTunes. Although in 2002, the Graphic Design Department at my university was using B&Ws - so what's the deal? :confused:

Thank you for all replies! :)

2. appletalk macrumors member

Do yourself a favor and get a mini. Why bother with an outdated G3? That computer, as far as sales go, would be in the "give away" pile in my opinion.

You will not enjoy your experience, and will be wishing for more...
    This is my opinion only of course. :eek:

3. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Gotta agree with the previous response; unless you're talking like maybe $50 for something to fool around just for the novelty, put the money toward a Mini.

4. brandon6684 Guest

Unless it's like $150 or less I'd look at a mini instead. That's the problem with the mini, after it was released the the resale value of my 600 Mhz G3 iMac went to crap.

5. chanoc thread starter macrumors 6502

chanoc

The bidding for the B&W is at 60.00, and not getting many bids. Also bidding on an iMac G3 700Mhz, and that auction is at 150.00 - again not going anywhere fast. Cheap Minis flooding the eBay market! :)

6. MadMacs44 macrumors member

MadMacs44

Other opinion

Well even though the G3 B&W series are aging, they are great canidates for ugrades. I know that with all the cheap stuff our there it is often more feasable to just buy a better built machine. But, the this series of G3 was a well built machine and I have a couple that over time I have put 0better processors and cards into and they continue rocking on a daily basis~

Hope that helps.