B&W G3 or G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apunkrockmonk, Apr 23, 2006.

1. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I'm looking for a low cost file server to replace all of my PCs. This file server will house 4 or 5 ATA drives (I am aware I'll need an ATA PCI card). I would also like this machine to run Tiger comfortably. The programs I will run on this computer will be safari and adium, maybe a few other programs, nothing intensive.

My question is, will a B&W G3 (350Mhz) be enough, or a low end G4 be better. Either machine will have at least 512MB of ram.

If Tiger is too much for these machines then Panther will suffice.

Thanks for your advice.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Define "enough"?
    Given the choice, a Sawtooth G4 is a better choice than a B&W G3 or a Yikes (PCI Graphics) G4. The G3s have some issues with some PCI drive controller cards.

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

Why not rig up a PeeCee and install Linux on it, sharing your files via Samba? :confused:

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I always advise against running Tiger on G3s... IMO it's not real pretty. I know there are many here who disagree with me, but I think that OS X, and especially Tiger, really needs a G4 or better to perform as it should. (and 350 Mhz isn't exactly a blazing G3 anyway)

5. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

hmm...............
    can samba also be an easy webserver?
    i have an old peecee that i need to be a server, but it's only got 256 RAM. anybody know the cheapest (used or new) machine that's able to be a server and run apache, preferably mac or linux?
    i really want to run my own webserver so i can have unlimited files!

6. apunkrockmonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Well, I just want to get a Mac running. The only people using it will be my parents, who do not know much about computers. I am just so sick of troubleshooting windows every week with its new problem.

I want to keep the budget low, like, $200 or less. So thats why I chose those machines.

I myself use a Macbook Pro so I don't need the file server to be fast or anything. My parents won't notice the difference in speed.

7. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

if you were really shopping on a budget you would just build a decent PC. if you really want the mac route, definately stick with a G4. G3s basically suck and wont stomach tiger very easily. i would try and get a dual 450 system b/c you have the oppourtunity to get a processor upgrade down the line and prolong its life. with PM sawtooth ram so cheap, i would get 1 gig and you wont regret it.

8. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

going for 200 dollars or less is not going to happen. you will prolly overpay for the sawtooth b/c no one wants to part with their old mac for a fair price. is the 200 dollar estimate take into account all of the HDDs you wanna throw in there?

9. apunkrockmonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

No, I already have all the HDs and lots of PC-133 and some DDR ram. The IDE card is not included in the $200 budget.

I was actually thinking of grabbing this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9714347143&fromMakeTrack=true

I already have optical drives, HDs, and ram, so thats no big deal. I could spend the money I saved on an upgrade card or more hard drives or anything for that matter.

Its just a possibility I was exploring.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

THe DDR RAM's not gonna help with a Mac you can buy under $ 500...
    Another reason to get the Sawtooth G4 over the Yikes or B&W - the PCI-graphics machines are not compatible with 512 Mb DIMMs, and require 16-chip 256 Mb DIMMs, so your existing PC133 is hit or miss for compatibility -- better chance on the Sawtooth.