b&W g3 run photoshop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, Mar 13, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I dont own a mac, and was have been wanting one for a while.. i do some light photoshop work and just internet and some other stuff, and on a rarity light video editing.. wil a b&w g3 be able to run photoshop cs and osx ok? if i put a good ammount of ram in it?

2. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I had a B&W with 896MB RAM, i had OS X.3 and PS CS on it and it was decent, not great mind you, but as long as your not planning on doing mad photoshop sessions, it's ok for light work, it was actually quite comprable to my 2.0GHz celeron pc w/ 256MB RAM

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yup you sure can.

But if you do ultra major big file work you may experience some slowdown.

No crashes though.

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I do tons of media work, PS included, on my B&W with no problems. Of course, I have significant upgrades, but I have no doubt that it would run just fine on a stock system. A little slow, but usable, I would guess.

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

would it run anything comparable to a pentium 4 2.4 ghz with 512 mb of ram? i think the b&W was a g3 400 or 450 mhz, and i would upgrade to 1gb of ram.. and put a large hd in it.. would it be better than my p4?

6. andypress macrumors regular

I would hate to have to say that the P4 is better...it kind of is, but windows tends to be unrelibable sometimes....

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It really depends on what video card you have installed, but I doubt it would be that fast even with, say a Radeon 9200. You would be much better off with a G4 processor, then you could talk about real speed. I'm finding more and more that the low-end G3's don't cut it any more, and that's all I used as recently as 6 months ago.

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I'm using the B&W in my sig and and I run Photoshop 7.0 just fine. Even before I added another 320MB RAM it ran well. I got my B&W for $132.50, shipped, I only added the extra RAM and a 60GB HDD and my internal DVD burner. It does everything but run Garageband well. That's ok tough I'm going to get a PM G5 in June along with a 15" PB. Then I'll have no problems running Garageband.