B&W monitor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Roger1, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hey people
    I have a couple of blue and white monitors that have died. Is there anyplace where I can get a repair manual on these things? While I'm at it, I have 4 HP monitors I'd like to get working also. If you can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. :)

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

don't expect to be able to find parts for the blue and white monitors. I got a 17" with my b&w when I bought it new. about 14 months after I bought it the monitor went all screwy in that the sides kept coming inward. it was almost unusable. apple could not even find parts for it themselves and had to just give me money to buy another on my own. I got 575 from them and paid 700 when it was new.

so from my experience you probably won't find parts

3. Biker21098 macrumors member

one 17 in studio monitors

I have two, I recently retired a blue and white one that matched the old G3 then I also have a grey and white one watching the old G4. both machines kick butt, but the old monitors where replaced by 2 viewsonice VP171b's which are amazing. no as high a res, I do miss my 1600x1200. i use a cheap 17in nokia that bi bought for 10 bucks on the old 350MHz G3. I know a lot are breaking, my old highschool lost many of their monitors. I havent had any issues with mine, I used them with a dual setup on my G4 for 2 yrs or so. I would be willing to sell them If yoiu really wanted to buy some used ones. Let me know.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

So I must be lucky with my 17" CRT B&W monitor. I let it fall out of my hands a half meter from the ground. It landed on the screen. I now have two coloured spots, one on the left upper corner and one at the right upper corner. Also it is missing one colour over the whole screen. Red looks like black on it. But it is still working! I use it as my second monitor on my G5 right now. I have tried "massaging" it with a magnetic device, but no luck there. The beams in the tube are probably off.

5. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Ahhh, buying monitors is out of the question, that is why I want to repair them, if possible. They aren't mine, they belong to where I work. And since I work for a school district, and we have no money, I don't get new monitors. :(

6. chv400 macrumors 6502

I think that there was some sort of defect with it that caused it to stop working after a while. I beleive that they had a recall on the B&W monitors.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

uh monitors are almost never worth fixing...

and Apple doesnt like people passing along the service manuels....thats from so meone who got a warning from Apple......anyways sometimes they sell cds with the pdfs on ebay.........

9. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Ah, well. I guess I won't fix them. I needed some doostops anyway :)

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

anyone that has bought a mac has every right to know how to fix it. I hate how computer companies do things to their hardware to try and prevent people from modifying them. example: all the b&w G3 towers have a rom block to prevent owners from upgrading to a G4. luckily the upgrade cpu makers all figured out a way to remove this rom block.

I feel that once you buy something it is 100% yours and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. apple only owns it till you buy it. once you buy it do as you wish with it. rules or not.

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

never heardof that, if I did know that, I would send mine in right away, got it insured ofcourse and when Apple notices the different colors on the screen I just say that they weren't there before. :D But I think I am too late for that recall program... So just have to do with this colors messed up B&W monitor!

12. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Guess I avoided the defect as my 21" works great.