B&W mouse problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stithyoshi, Oct 24, 2005.

1. stithyoshi macrumors newbie

I just got my B&W G3 400/ 128M ram/ 4G hdd (I know, crappy specs, whatcha gonna do? :p) up and running with a third party (don't reamember the brand) DVD burner in it so that I could install OS 10.2.4 from DVD. The installation goes fine, I just start ist up, run Disk Tools to wipe my whole drive and install. Simple.
    Or is it? Every single time I boot the computer up after installing OS X, no matter what mouse I use, the mouse isn't detected. It doesn't detect clicks, it doesn't detect movement, nothing. I know the mouse SHOULD work, because it worked just fine when i was installing OS X, but now i'm not getting anything (my keyboard still works, too) any ideas?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Have you tried a different port? It doesn't sound like a faulty port, but try it anyway.

3. stithyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, tried that already. I've tried using an off brand wireless mouse, an IBM wired optical mouse, a microsoft wireless optical mouse, and my neghbor's apple pro mouse, tired in both ports. I have no idea what's going on. Worked fine during install, remember? Just for reference, i have no other Mac OS to roll back to. Thanks for the thought, tho.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It does.

Reboot while holding Option, and it'll ask you to select a boot volume. See whether the mouse works at this screen.

5. stithyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. I'll have to try this when i get home (I'm at school right now in Japan, so it's about noon here :p) I think I remember what key is the option key on my keyoard... I'm using a logitech USB keyboard for PS2, 'cause that's the only USB keyboard i could find on the states, and i have to press ''logitech button" + something else like ALT or something and O + F to boot into open firmware. Yeah, it gets a little confusing, but it works. I thought that only firewire bootable macs had the boot menu? oh well, I'll know when I try :p

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh, you might be right there - I jumped straight from an old 603 right up to an 800 MHz G3 so I don't know what happened in between.

7. stithyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, i thought right. I tried all three keys that could be option and nothing, so this G3 doesn't have the boot menu. I don't think it's the mac itself, but you never know. I also attempted boting without the mouse and then hotplugging it and i still get nothing... alternatively, does anyone know how to use keyboard navigation in the setup program? I can go up and down the language selection box with the keyboard, but i can't hit the "continue" button