BA or BS?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by donga, Dec 2, 2005.

1. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

I'm graduating from the University of Arizona this upcoming May 2006 with a Bachelor's of Science in Molecular and Cellular Biology and a second degree in Psychology. I can get either a B.S. or B.A. in Psychology because of my MCB degree, so the distinction is really in name only.

My question is, what should I make the second degree: B.S. or B.A.? I'm going into the peace corps after undergrad, and then I'm taking a serious look at law school after those two years. Which would be more advantageous for my plans and future? Thanks for your help.

2. natehan macrumors member

natehan

Well, Bachelor of Science usually constitutes more comprehensive core-requisites. I've never heard of a situation where you can choose. Should've went to your school.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Indeed, that is interesting. All else equal, I'd go for the B.A. just because you've already got the B.S. That way you could say you've got both.

BTW...congrats!!!

4. latisha1903 macrumors member

latisha1903

never heard of getting to choose either. but it really depends i suppose on what you plan to do. i am also in undergrad [communications/journalism emphasis] which will be a B.A. because its not looked at in a scientific approach but more of art [college of arts and science] it depends on what aim or direction you're going to take.

5. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I would probably go BA for two reasons.

1. You've already got a BS.
    2. Your future plans tend to lend themselves to a BA.

I have 2 BA's and I'm now working on a MS. But I started all my upper division course work with both AA and AS degrees. Although, I can't say that the destinction between any of the above has helped me in any particular instance. In the end, it'll prolly just be fun to say you have both.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

By itself, I think the BS looks better but since you already have a scientific degree, I reckon most employers will be more impressed by your more diverse choice of getting a BA too.

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Hold on, I think my buddy was in this dilemma before.

I think his counseler said something like, the B.S is good for working in the industry, works in the field well...whereas the B.A is good for moving on to a M.A and phD for teaching and education of Psychology.

I could be (and probably am!) wrong!

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I reckon if you can BS your way to a BA you'll be AOK.

I'd go for the BS (we call it a BSc - nobody wants BS after their name) as it lends itself to connotations of more work than a Bachelor of Attendance.

9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Up here at the U of Utah, there are some degrees that you can choose whether to get a BS (have to take 2 upper level math/logic classes as gen eds) or a BA (have to take 4 semesters of a foreign language or ASL as gen eds). In all actuality, I don't think it makes much of a difference whether you get a BA or BS so long as you just get a degree.

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the funny thing about it...

is that the BA is the BS degree... ;)

ALWAYS go BS if it's an option... ALWAYS

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, BS is such an American thing. Well, I think the British may use it as well. Either way it's a weird thing to call your degree.

EDIT: I'd go with a BA instead of a BSc. People say a BA is easier, but that's not fair, really. It's easier to "pass" an arts subject, but to do well and earn a 1st Class (A to A+) is harder in subjects like history, or any program related to politics and conflicts or something, as grading is so much more subjective, generally.

This is coming from a PhD student in science, btw. ;)

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oh my, just think what the impact could be of the initals...

J. Donga, BABS

Hey Babs! Howya doin?

You'll never live it down ;)

O'course, the option is BS^2

13. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

seconded. getting a 1st class BA is really hard at a good institution

14. donga thread starter macrumors 6502a

donga