Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donga

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2005
AZ
I'm graduating from the University of Arizona this upcoming May 2006 with a Bachelor's of Science in Molecular and Cellular Biology and a second degree in Psychology. I can get either a B.S. or B.A. in Psychology because of my MCB degree, so the distinction is really in name only.

My question is, what should I make the second degree: B.S. or B.A.? I'm going into the peace corps after undergrad, and then I'm taking a serious look at law school after those two years. Which would be more advantageous for my plans and future? Thanks for your help.

natehan

macrumors member
May 15, 2005
Chicago
Well, Bachelor of Science usually constitutes more comprehensive core-requisites. I've never heard of a situation where you can choose. Should've went to your school.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Indeed, that is interesting. All else equal, I'd go for the B.A. just because you've already got the B.S. That way you could say you've got both.

BTW...congrats!!!

latisha1903

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2005
houston
natehan said:
Well, Bachelor of Science usually constitutes more comprehensive core-requisites. I've never heard of a situation where you can choose. Should've went to your school.

never heard of getting to choose either. but it really depends i suppose on what you plan to do. i am also in undergrad [communications/journalism emphasis] which will be a B.A. because its not looked at in a scientific approach but more of art [college of arts and science] it depends on what aim or direction you're going to take.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
I would probably go BA for two reasons.

1. You've already got a BS.
2. Your future plans tend to lend themselves to a BA.

I have 2 BA's and I'm now working on a MS. But I started all my upper division course work with both AA and AS degrees. Although, I can't say that the destinction between any of the above has helped me in any particular instance. In the end, it'll prolly just be fun to say you have both.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
By itself, I think the BS looks better but since you already have a scientific degree, I reckon most employers will be more impressed by your more diverse choice of getting a BA too.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hold on, I think my buddy was in this dilemma before.

I think his counseler said something like, the B.S is good for working in the industry, works in the field well...whereas the B.A is good for moving on to a M.A and phD for teaching and education of Psychology.

I could be (and probably am!) wrong!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I reckon if you can BS your way to a BA you'll be AOK.

I'd go for the BS (we call it a BSc - nobody wants BS after their name) as it lends itself to connotations of more work than a Bachelor of Attendance.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
latisha1903 said:
never heard of getting to choose either. but it really depends i suppose on what you plan to do

Up here at the U of Utah, there are some degrees that you can choose whether to get a BS (have to take 2 upper level math/logic classes as gen eds) or a BA (have to take 4 semesters of a foreign language or ASL as gen eds). In all actuality, I don't think it makes much of a difference whether you get a BA or BS so long as you just get a degree.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chundles said:
I reckon if you can BS your way to a BA you'll be AOK.

I'd go for the BS (we call it a BSc - nobody wants BS after their name) as it lends itself to connotations of more work than a Bachelor of Attendance.

Yeah, BS is such an American thing. Well, I think the British may use it as well. Either way it's a weird thing to call your degree.

EDIT: I'd go with a BA instead of a BSc. People say a BA is easier, but that's not fair, really. It's easier to "pass" an arts subject, but to do well and earn a 1st Class (A to A+) is harder in subjects like history, or any program related to politics and conflicts or something, as grading is so much more subjective, generally.

This is coming from a PhD student in science, btw. ;)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Abstract said:
I'd go with a BA instead of a BSc. People say a BA is easier, but that's not fair, really. It's easier to "pass" an arts subject, but to do well and earn a 1st Class (A to A+) is harder in subjects like history, or any program related to politics and conflicts or something, as grading is so much more subjective, generally.

seconded. getting a 1st class BA is really hard at a good institution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.