Baby dies because of online video game

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bubbasteve, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I came across this article and I thought I would share it with you all.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/20/news_6127866.html

I think that this is just plain terrible, what do you guys/girls think?

I realize that games can be addicting but not to the point where one would leave their infant unattended just to play the dumb thing

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Baby dies because of stupid, neglectful parents. What does it matter if they were playing a video game, reading a book or out for a walk? Bit of a sensationalistic thread title don't you think?

Lethal

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Kinda sad when a video game becomes more important than your own child :rolleyes:

Why was the infant left alone in the first place? I hope those "parents" get what they deserve. There was no excuse for that. :mad:

True. This has happened in the U.S. as well. Where a parent leaves their child in the car on a hot day.

However one the main points I see is that they left the house. While people probably wouldn't leave a house to read a book.

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

....and to think I couldn't stand playing WOW for mere minutes.

Child neglect is horrible.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Definitely the parents fault, if it weren't video games it would have been something else, they just didn't care enough to be parents.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'd certainly agree - if the child had died because the parent was neglectful because of being an alcoholic or a drug abuser, this (sadly) wouldn't even be considered news.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Even if well-fed, babies can die from a lack of touch.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Err.. doesn't this stike anyone else as odd? As a complete fabrication?

Maybe it's just because I don't know anything about internet cafés.

Would an internet café allow you to install WoW on one of their computers? And how much would you freak out if you went there and some teenager was sitting at your computer and swapping WTFOMG!!11! on AIM?

Well, tragic if it's true, but WoW is a drug and terribly addicting, and well junkies.. :rolleyes:

9. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

How could you leave your child alone for a few hours? If it was asleep then take it out with you. If awake DONT GO OUT! Kids are hard work, harder than you expect but these 'parents' deserve everything they get in my book.
    Im the perfect parent btw ;)

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed

Wow, what incredibly stupid parents (if this is true). I can't imagine leaving a sleeping infant (or toddler, ftm) alone in a house to do more than run out to the mailbox for a minute.

Death is too good for people like these. And what does WoW have to do with it, other than being their addiction of choice? They could just as easily have been addicted to standing outside the bakery smelling baked goods. Would there be a news story (or a thread on MR) for that?

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

that is indeed sad, and unexcusable.

On a similar subject, I have my Mac chime every 15 minutes, just so I am paying attention to the time I am wasting, I mean using!

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

(Going waaay off topic here), but did you know people blink a lot less often when using a computer, and even when they do, they don't blink completely? Very bad for people who use contact lenses.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

a 4 month old? You never leave it unattended, sorry. It totally the parents fault. Although I imagine no amount of jail time or fine is going to compare to losing your only daughter.....

So very sad

D

14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Baby dies because of neglectful parents? Thats not media-worthy. Baby dies because neglectful parents play video games, then get millions from suing the game maker for negligance... now THAT is pure brilliance.

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Internet gaming is huge in Korea. It seems Blizzard games are particularly popular there and these internet cafes are big on gaming. So it's not a surprise to me that they were playing WoW there.

The headline is just plain dumb - the game had very little to do with this incident. Instead of reading, "Couple's online gaming causes infant's death" I propose this headline "Couple's stupidity and neglect causes infant's death". A baby, especially that young, should never be left unattended - complete stupidity, nothing else. It's a shame this couple didn't earn a Darwin award before having children.

16. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

god that would get real annoying real quick for me

17. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

How many of us weren't going to find that "terrible"? In addition to the exploitative, misleading title, it's almost a certainty that everyone will vilify the parents and defend the video games, as they should.

Maybe tomorrow I'll post about how I wish there were a cure for cancer.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh man, I just KNEW video games were evil. Proof positive.

To bad there's no IQ test for potential parents, eh?

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I thought there was...

Insert Tab A into Slot A

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... yeah and a passing score is what, 25?

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

With the rise of teenage pregnancy, apparently they're now taking scores of 13 or 14.

22. friarbayliff macrumors regular

What disgusted me the most is that the story hinted that the parents had done this on a regular basis. I don't have kids, but it's my understanding that you can't leave a 4-year-old alone for that amount of time, let alone an infant. I can't imagine someone taking better care of a virtual person than a real one.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is just plain stupid. A thinking person wouldn't leave an infant alone period. Leaving the house and leaving the infant alone was just completely out of touch with reality. It mentions that the infant was there only child. There is no punishment that would fit this crime of neglect. If I were the judge as part of the plea agreement or sentencing, they would agree to voluntary sterilization. Once completed, then the sentence could be reduced. In todays society there is individuals that have no business having children.