Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Community' started by alxths, May 17, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

So I've decided to take my nerdiness up a notch and start watching Babylon 5 for the first time. I've always been a fan of star trek(particularly TNG, can't beat picard ;)), and really liked the fact that deep space 9 gave an ongoing story of conflict between the different species; and then people told me that DS9 is basically ripped off of B5, so i had ot check it out..

I'm about 2/3 through the first season and so it's been great so far... A few acting problems that are common with all shows in the early episodes, but that's to be expected. People say that it gets much better later on, so i must have somespectacular episodes ahead of me!

Apparently it's set up in the form of a shakespearian play, with 5 seasons, presenting an introduction, rising action, climax, falling action, adn then conclusion... Which i particularly admire. Most shows try to stretch on as long as possible; where as the creators of babylon 5 gave themselves a limited time frame to give a more complete and structured story-arc..

So, i'm just wondering if anyone here is watching/ has watched the series and what they think about it.. Better than ST? Worse than?

2. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

You can't compare it. It's like apples and oranges.

I personally love the B5 series. Some of the acting isn't the greatest but I thought the writing got better and better with every episode. I think it's totally worth the time to watch it. In fact, I have the first box set but I need to go out and buy the latest two that came out. Enjoy!

~e

3. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

I think B5 is a level above TNG. Once you get into the Shadow Wars, it's very exciting. That said, Stargate SG-1 is like two levels above B5. Best scifi show out there by far. Colonel O'Neil is brillant in the later seasons and they even poke fun at themselves with spot on humor ("Wormhole Extreme" episode).

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Babylon 5 had its moments but not many of them. The pilot episode was really good but then, things really dropped off for a while. The Mimbari brought out the White Star at one point to get things going again. I don't remember a whole lot about it, but Deep Space Nine was generally very memorable for me. Perhaps, that just had to do with a clear definition of what the producers wanted it to be.

Probably the worst thing about any syndicated series is that you never know whether it's going to continue. It's just a good thing it wasn't on Fox or NBC. It wouldn't have lasted long at all.

Right now, I'd say Andromeda is the series to watch with Stargate SG-1 a close second and Enterprise a haphazard, distant 3rd.

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Amen and pass the zat gun. :D I can't wait for Stargate: Atlantis to debut. I am little bit skeptical about Atlantis but we will see. Second Friday in July folks for Atlantis. I'm going to miss the season opener for SG1, First Friday in July, because I'll be at a convention in Philadelphia the first week in July. :( Oh well. Dats what VCR’s are for. :) I honestly haven’t been this enthralled with a show since TNG.

I need to start borrowing my friends B5 DVD set. Actually I’d probably end up doing a hostage negotiation trading him my 6 seasons of SG1 on DVD for his 5 seasons of B5. Easy, easy. Put it on the ground slowly and back away.

6. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I don't know. I've really gotten into the last few episodes. I've been loosely following the series since and the current save the world plot since the beginning. IMHO Enterprise seems to be a hit and miss series. For every 1 good episode they have at least 3 so so ones and 1-2 craptastic ones. My favorite is still the Borg episode that ties into Star Trek: First Contact. The idea behind it is brilliant and it was pulled off flawlessly, IMHO.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

if you think that first season is good, you will be amazed :) in my opinion it's the second season which gets things going and begins to make you think. and it's the third and fourth season that you cannot get your eye off the tv.

fifth is not a good season. they needed to get the highlight into the fourth because they didn't know they would be able to make the fifth season at all. and when they got it financed, it was already too late - fourth season tells you many things that were written for fifth.

but it's great as a whole and i love it. not for acting, but the story and the persons involved, it's just great. to repeat myself, it makes one think a lot ;)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the last couple of seasons are the best too. I actually watched the pilot and first few episodes when it came out, and had such minimal feeling for it that I ignored it for years, until it was in re-runs on SciFi. But then when I watched the whole thing, I really liked it.

What do people think of the movies? I thought Legend of the Rangers and Well of Souls were pretty good.

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Haven't seen Well of Souls but I wasn't all that impressed with Legend of the Rangers. Most of the B5 episodes I've seen felt like an operatic, 1-hour movie rather then a 2-bit TV show. LotR felt like the total opposite. The plot seemed uninspiring, the acting wasn't BAD but it could have been better, and the escape scenes seemed right out of Star Trek: TOS.
    Now compare that to "In the Beginning" and "A call to Arms" that, IMHO really do feel like movies.

To each their own I guess.

10. sketchy macrumors regular

I love B5, seen every episode a few times and own all the TV movies.

Huge fan. If you like b5 you will also like startagte and farscape.

I am anxiously antisibating the announcement of the new B5 feature film. Straczynski has been hinting about it for a while now.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

And it shows--we've been doing "B5 Thursdays" at my neighbors for a long while now, working our way through all the box sets, start to finish. The fifth season does feel a lot like an afterthought, but by now I know and love all the characters so well (even the ones I love to hate!) that I don't care as much as I probably ought to. :)

But even so, B5 is my hands-down favorite sci-fi series, over any of the Star Treks and Farscape (though I haven't been able to catch SG-1 yet). I never could get into DS-9 much--the characters just didn't grab me--and Farscape's not as cohesive. The inhabitants of Babylon 5 are so well drawn and developed that you feel you know them, the more so because you get to watch them grow and change. I'm going to miss them all when we get through the last box.... :p

12. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i reckognize the downfalls of the first season in bad acting, and some bad writing(which is wierd, because at the same time, i find some of the writing to be very very good).. But I appreciate it as an introduction to the series. It's intreiging(no idea how to spell that) to watcch them set up how mysterious the vorlons are(which they've done excentelly, kosh is bad ass ;), there was one scene where they just had him walk through a door and it gave me the chills), the connections between the humans and mimbari, how earth/mars is changing, and the decline of the centauri empire(seems to parallel the british empire). For me, these things make up for what some episodes lack in lot and what not...

Stargage SG-1 eh, are they still making that show? I never considered watching it since it looked to cheesy; but that's exactly why i've not started watching b5 until now, so.. :confused:

I've seen enterprise a few times and just can't get inot it... I think their first mistake was the theme song! I miss the traditional orchastrated ones from the previous star treks..

13. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Farscape was great at the beginning and then it got SO CHEESY. I just couldn't stomach some of the later episodes.

I'll say B5 and SG-1 are the best show's going.

~e

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Yeah. B5 is a very good sci-fi series.

Though, I couldn't stay with the story flow whenever I see 'Flounder'. :D :D

15. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

When you get to the episode 'Severed Dreams' then you'll understand how far ahead the B5 series is to Star Trek... :)

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The best thing about Babylon 5 was that it was designed from the get-go as one five year long epic. Consequently, little things, comments that look like throwaway dialogue, even in Season 1, take on great meaning later in the series. By the time you've seen the whole series, you'll realize there's a great number of references that are really foreshadowings of things to come. Watching the series a second time only increases your enjoyment, for that's when you really begin to recognize how many events are connected to each other.

Contrast this with The X Files which, while it also portrayed a multi-year saga, never really seemed to know where it wanted to go with the whole thing.

I rank Babylon 5 as one of the best SF series of all time, alongside such other luminaries as The Prisoner, Nowhere Man and the original Outer Limits.

(BTW, there's much talk of DS9 "ripping off" Babylon 5, but J. Michael Straczynski, creator of B5, seems satisfied that any similarities are coincidental. There's ample precedence for such a situation. In the 1970s, for instance, WB and 20th Century-Fox simultaneously bought the rights to two separate books about out-of-control fires in gigantic skyscrapers. There was much talk of lawsuits until they eventually melded the two projects into the movie "The Towering Inferno".)