Back again mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gundamvi, Jul 21, 2005.

1. gundamvi macrumors newbie

Hello I am choosing computers for our teen center and I was looking at the 17inch I Mac and the 2 GHZ G5 tower. What we will be using it for is to do video editing, graphic design, and what ever else we might want to. We can' t buy computers alot so which ever we buy will have to last for about 2 to 3 years. My questions is which one is a better buy for the long term? I am concerned about the upgradability issues with the I Mac. I don't want to choose something and than have trouble because we can't add this or that. Also the ram limited I am concerned about. Which do you think is a good one? And Why? :confused:

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think for the reasons you state the PowerMac G5 may be the best choice - be aware that you can upgrade these more easily than an iMac (please note spelling or you will get ripped on this forum) The PowerMac is a more flexible option and can be mated with a less expensive CRT screen which may be more suitable for a teen centre (I presume this is like a youth centre, activities, counseling etc).

An iMac at the moment is a very sweet deal and probably the best value Mac around however, as you have noticed, they are not as upgradeable as a PowerMac but in all honesty the iMac internals are still very good and should last you quite a while. You just have to consider the more fragile nature of the LCD screen.

The RAM capacities of both systems are pretty good, the G5 2GHz can hold up to 4GB whilst the iMac can hold 2GB. You can increase the Hard Drive capacities in both, either when ordering or after the purchase although this is a far easier process in a PowerMac.

I would say get the PowerMac and hunt around for good durable monitors.

3. gundamvi thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool I feel that the tower is the best to go with too. But incase my boss tells me we have to go with the I Mac, what do you think about its video card? Does anyone think that it will still be a decent card, say a year or two year from now? How durable is the I Mac? Easy to break? I dont want to get one and have the monitor part break down and shoot the whole system to crap because monitor is out.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iMac (please, it's iMac, not I Mac, I'm just trying to save you here) is a great computer, go to a Mac dealer and have a look.

If it's going to be treated well an iMac will do the stuff you want it to do and with lots of RAM it'll do it very well.

If there's the chance of anything getting mistreated or the distinct possibility of accidents then I would get the PowerMac, park it somewhere safe and hook it up to some less expensive peripherals that could stand up to a beating and not be expensive to replace. A good CRT monitor (yeah they're chunky but in terms of sheer ruggedness and "space for dollars" they can't really be beat) and an Apple keyboard and mouse could be the only things that are out in the open, maybe hiding the tower somewhere safer, thereby minimising risk of damage.

5. gundamvi thread starter macrumors newbie

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good choice, the Power Mac G5's will best meet your stated needs.