Back for the First Time

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ni4Ni| Spliff, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Ni4Ni| Spliff macrumors newbie

Well I have been reading these forums for quite some time. I've been reading all the rants about Macs and everything. I used to use Apple IIe and Mac Power PCs back in school. As soon as I hit high schools things changed and I strayed from the Mac. I always had love for Mac but the business these days are all about Windows. Anyhow I never dared to post in these forums up until now. I just BTO'd a PowerBook 15" in, 1.5 ghz, 128 vram, 5400 rpm HD, and swapped downed to Combo Drive. Its been so long since I've used or tinkered with a Mac that I'm a bit intimidated and am anxious for its arrival. I was thinkin about gettin the Apple Care, but I see how tight the Mac community is and all the help that is offered through these forums so I'm gonna take a chance. I just felt like taking my turn to rant about how I'm returning back to my Mac.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

You have up to a year after the date of the purchase to buy AppleCare, and I highly reccomend that at some point you buy it. It has paid for itself on the last two 'books I had before this one.

Oh yeah, welcome back :D

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

That is an incredible machine. You are going to love it! Glad to have you back as part of the Mac community!

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. Ni4Ni| Spliff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx guys. My first question is where can I get some cheaper(price)RAM. Or should I just wait and see how 512 will do. I'm planning on gettin Office 2004 and I've heard its a RAM hog. Is this true? Also will it come preloaded with Panther OS X up to the latest version or will I have to update it?

5. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I highly reccommend that you do not buy AppleCare.

Unless you are completely unable to access these forums, what the AppleCare reps will tell you is exactly what those in this Mac community can advise. Help here is free, and available when you need it.

IMHO, AppleCare is for people who lack a basic knowledge of computers. Sadly, there are enough of this type of person out there to keep the AppleCare program alive. While I like what they do, I don't like the cost. So, avoid it unless you absolutely, positively, without-a-doubtedly need it.

Welcome back!

6. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Crucial (www.crucial.com) or Kingston (www.kingston.com) are good bets. Cheap RAM, and easy to follow directions, along with great customer support makes Crucial my top pick. I've also heard good things about Kingston from some friends of mine, but I have personally never dealt with them.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

While I can't imagine calling the people for software or general computer usage help, the cost of repairs, especially on laptop computers, is enormous. I've been pretty lucky but my dad's iMac went to be repaired 4 times. The customer price for the parts handily exceeded the cost of the service agreement.

Welcome! Be sure to buy AppleCare before it's too late.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome back to the Mac community. I'm sure that you will enjoy your awesome machine.

I also recommend that you purchase AppleCare. Repairs can be very expensive on a PowerBook. My wife's PowerBook already need a new Airport Card and Screen. Have no idea about the cost, just happy that i don't have to worry.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Hmmm... I haven't found the thread that tells me how to replace a bad logic board for free... :confused:

Anyway, welcome back to the Mac. You may want to pick up a copy of David Pogue's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual. It made my switch from Windows to OS X a piece of cake.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Applecare serves a basic purpose for many and I think it is great that Apple provides this service. Is costs what it does because these people are paid to help service apple software/hardware. If they didn't provide this they would be eaten alive in the press.

That being said, I agree with Seth in that it is not worth it if you have access to these forums, are willing to post, etc. and do well with a written forum/thread type of advice and don't need someone walking you though something over the phone!

Ultimately you need to decide for yourself obviously but hopefully we have helped you decide.

as far as the hardware warranty, most issues(not all) will occur in the first or fourth or fifth year of owning an electronic device from the articles I have read about this topic which exactly why they can do these extended care warranties, etc.

Welcome (back)!

11. macjersey macrumors newbie

WHAT?!?

Buy AppleCare! The piece of mind really makes it worth it. And you know what, if you really love Apple's products, why not invest in another great Apple product.

12. Ni4Ni| Spliff thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably will. This may seem silly but does the PB come with the power cord or just the charger? Anyway whats with all the talk about logic board failure. Is this in previous Rev. or is it happening on this 1 too?

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Does Applecare cover user abuse...dropped laptop, etc.? If not, I would say (my opinion) no way is it worth it. There is a reason that electronic companies sell these warranties.

I have purchased extended warranties for my car, cameras, tv, etc. and only used one warranty policy and probably spent $3,000 over the last 13 years buying these warranties...the cost to replace that one part was less than $100. so I have lost money over warranties...which is exactly why companies do it.

14. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Your PB will come with a power adapter, that will allow your computer to be plugged into a wall outlet, allowing simultaneous battery charging and computer use. The logic board failure was for G3 iBooks. Fear not.

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I don't think AppleCare is worth it. They provide it because most suckers get this extended warranty and never use it.

I remember someone on these forums once saying "I'm glad I got AppleCare for my PowerBook. After the 1 year standard warranty expired, my battery failed. AppleCare meant I could get another one for free"

Cost of new battery: £99
    Cost of AppleCare: £269

hmmm.

Any hardware problems are likely to occur in the first few weeks (and therefore you care covered anyway) or when it's very old (5 years) and something wears out - in which case AppleCare is no good anyway.

And if you do drop it and break it all up, AppleCare won't be of any use, and you will know that not only have you wasted the £1500 on the laptop, but also an additional £269 on the warranty that is now of no use.

Extended warranties are well documented to be the biggest rip-off in the electronics industry. AppleCare is no different.

16. Ni4Ni| Spliff thread starter macrumors newbie

**Update**

This is just to let you know that I received my PB ahead of schedule & before I leave to Miami for vacation. I am happy to report that it came perfect, no scratches, dead pixels, or any other of the problems I see regularly on here. All I need to get familiar with is the commands. My next question is if I bought something online and I need to exchange it, can I do it @ an Apple Store or do I have to send it back to them? Thanx for all your input.