"Back Healthy" Chairs...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iGary, Jul 11, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Has anyone her had experience with these types of chairs:

[​IMG]

I'm opening up a new office, and unfortunately my Herman Miller from work won't be coming along with me:

[​IMG]

I've got back problems and wondered if anyone else uses the "kneeling" chairs...

Thanks!

2. aboutthat macrumors regular

You can have some of the dozens of unused Aeron chairs sitting around my company lol... of course, I'm sure they wouldn't get suspicious at all when the lone intern in the building attempts to casually shove the chairs into his Toyota Echo :cool: I don't particularly like them anyway, could never get them 'just right.' Haven't tried the kneeling, took me about 3 years to just figure out how people actually sat in them...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've used the kneeling chairs before. My friend had one for his Bondi Blue iMac. I had no hopes that it'd be a good chair but it was surprisingly comfortable. I just don't have any extremely prolonged sitting experience in one.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I had one years ago. They're comfy for a period, but the problem is there's only one position. And, frankly, I like to move around a bit. Sometimes I'm leaning back, sometimes forward, depending on the task. In other words, they're just not that flexible.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is an example of an inappropriate product to order mail-order.

Find yourself a local office supply company that has a 30 day return policy. Test the chairs in person in the store, then buy the best candidate and do long term sitting test at your location, with your setup. If it's not right, exercise the 30 day return and try another one.

Had a kneeler - hated it.

Ask your physiotherapist for input. If you don't have one, find one. A good physio knows more about muscles than a chiro and more about joints than an MD.

6. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've known three people who owned those "kneeling" chairs and after the novelty wore off they found them uncomfortable. Some people here at work use large, inflatable exercise balls to sit on. It guarentees that you sit up straight else you'll roll off.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The balls are fine for someone with a healthy back who doesn't need support, or for sitting sessions of 15 minutes or less. Not fine with preexisting back problems.... not at all, at all.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I have a Herman Miller Aero at work, and I can sit in it for 12 hours a day with no problem. I think I'll just have to pony up.

But good suggestion on finding a store, CanadaRAM - I think the kneel chairs are a good "few hour" type of chair, not an dall day chair like I need.

Thanks all.

9. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

A sports physio I was using recommended a ball, but only after remedial work had been done. They're very good for strengthening the back muscles, which can be useful depending on how your back is affected. Don't think they're suitable for you though iGary. Or for aboutthat's suggestion - get one of those brown removal coats and a clipboard and say you're taking them for maintenance ;)

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I think it's going to be the Herman Miller, but I'll ask my physical therapist.

11. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Had a kneeler, loved it. Used it for an all day work chair in my cube for at least 2 years. but it wasn't on rollers. I think the rollers could be dangerous anyways. Never tried the HM Aero, but am currently wondering if there is a conventional piece of office furniture that will be good for the back. I have five reject chairs in my garage, and don't want to put the current (#6) out there until I find one wrthy of it's place in front of the iMac G5...

12. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Have you thought about the Mirra? A bit cheaper but worth a look.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

14. kucchi macrumors member

15. zv470 macrumors 6502