Back it up!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trout74, May 2, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

Quick question. Newbie, so no slamming :eek:

Got a mini.

going to buy tiger

Everyone suggested to back-up and do a clean install.

I dont have an external HD, how deo I back up my stuff and do a clean install?

may be a dumb question...............do I burn it all to CD's?
    Would be cool if there was site online to back up to and then download once you ahve your new operation system in.

im more interested in how to back up my ical and COntact list, that i sync to my Palm Tungstun.

any help would be great.

thanks

Trout

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If your home folder (/Users/youraccountname) is fairly small, backing that up will be pretty easy and will back up most of your stuff, including those things you mentioned.

Also, if you've purchased any apps or iTMS music, be sure to back them (or at least the registration codes for apps) up as well (but the iTMS files are likely in your home directory anyway).

That should account for almost everything you'd need. Some prefs would need to be redone, but not many.

And backing up our home folder is something you should do anyway, at least occasionally.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, .Mac would handle some of that, but anything you could back up online, you could back up much faster to CD,

4. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks.
    My Mini is very new, I bet I have 5-8Gigs worth of stuff, is that small?
    so how do I back up to this folder you speak of, when I say new, the last Mac I had was a color classic in 1993! so detailed instructions would be great :eek:

Also am I backing this up to my existing hard drive, or do you mean get that folder and burn it onto a CD?

sorry if im an idiot,
    thanks
    Trout

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

if your mini is that new, I think the 5-8 gigs likely includes stuff that came with it, right - or have you added that much already?

To back up files in the simplest way, assuming you have blank CD-R's (or CD-RW's) and no backup software:

• Insert a blank CD-R/CD-RW.
    • If asked, choose to open it in Finder (probably you'll be asked, but your Mac might be configured to do so by default).
    • Drag files (from a Finder window - one where you can see your folders) to the CD icon on the screen, making sure you don't exceed the capacity of the CD.
    • When enough files are there, right (or control) click on the CD's icon and select "Burn Disc"
    • Repeat as necessary.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note: I'd start with your home folder - the one with the little house icon and your name next to it in the Finder window's sidebar - and it's subfolders and files. Once that's backed up, move on to any other folders you've added files into (if any).

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, one other thing: once you've backed it up (which is good practice), try upgrading to Tiger with the Upgrade option on the install disk - odds are it'll work just fine, and it'll be MUCH less hassle. No need to archive and install - just upgrade. Worked on my iMac and PMG5 with no problems. If it doesn't work, then you can try a clean install.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't know if you need to do a clean install on a mini. You probably will be much better off with an archive and install. (Do backup first nomatter what you do!) That said, I'm gonna do a clean install on my iBook, but that's because it needs a good cleanup after being abused for a year and a half. Your system is what, three, max four months old...? Probably not long enough to abuse it to the point where you'd benefit from a clean install...

9. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

JSW,

Thank you for your kind posts!

Looks like ill be Burning CD's tonight. the 5-8 Gigs is mostly music, do I back that up the same way by burning CD's?? I have the CD's that I loaded onto the Mini in the first place so I guessI can jsut re-load them once I get Tiger going.

I would just upgrade, but I have read that a clean install is better. I would like to just upgrade though for sure.

thanks again for you time!

Trout

10. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

My system is 40 DAYS old. And only thing ive done is extensive ical usage and itunes and some word files and spreadsheets etc.

so a update would be fine??

trout

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The intermediate option is 'Archive & Install'. You get clean shiny System files but your Mac remembers not to delete your Home folder and brings it with you. That's the option I used and no problems here.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, there has been some mentioning of some bizarre bugs and errors on some machines that has been upgraded, but as jsw also mentioned, it is the simplest option and it probably will go just fine.

If you want to be sure though, the archive and install is a bit safer... and you can just delete the old systems folder after a day or two, when you're sure everythings working...

With a 40 day old system, that's not been heavily abused, a clean install would be overkill... ;)